Do you like your Aspen MFD?

DXB

18 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm not really qualified to speak on this matter... but when has that stopped me before?

With the previous Aspen units I couldn't justify the second unit (MFD). Mainly because I have the very same information, data, charts, traffic, etc. on the IFD540 just a few inches over. I know it could back up the PFD, but there was still the requirement to have an AI backup regardless. 

With the new Aspen Max screens, (I saw them at OSH and they look great!) the additional AI backup isn't needed, so two Aspen screens and I could remove ALL other instruments? That's a bit more compelling. 

Does it matter if it's the 500 or 1000?  

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

To take out the other instruments it has to be an MFD1000 with external back up battery.

I think LC is correct. However, the E5 and the new max displays are claiming 2 hr battery life with the internal battery. I wonder if the external battery will last 6-8 hrs with the new internals. 

Also both 1000 displays need to be upgraded to max status and need to be connected to a tso’d waas navigator for error correction. 

6 minutes ago, gsengle said:

Pet peeve, on it seems like every aspen install, including the one just posted, you can see the very top sliver of the old instrument openings at the top of the aspens. Are installers too lazy to tidy this up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you’re looking at the release lever.  That’s why flush mount units need to have a cutout at the top to allow the unit to be removed. 

Pet peeve, on it seems like every aspen install, including the one just posted, you can see the very top sliver of the old instrument openings at the top of the aspens. Are installers too lazy to tidy this up?

What sliver are you talking about?

cb2554a72164fa3844b148f676172923.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

To take out the other instruments it has to be an MFD1000 with external back up battery.

Wow also must have external battery :(  Even though the Max internal ones have 2 hour life?  That would give 4 hours between the two in an alternator failure.

Yeah, that I believe is the release point it doesn’t show much when the panel is darker.

I don’t think the releases are semicircles shaped like the top of three inch instrument holes, are they? Look at a bunch of aspen install pictures and there are the old instrument holes peeking above the aspens...

I don’t think the releases are semicircles shaped like the top of three inch instrument holes, are they? Look at a bunch of aspen install pictures and there are the old instrument holes peeking above the aspens... I’ll have to look closer next time I see one in person. I know what the lever looks like...

I don’t think the releases are semicircles shaped like the top of three inch instrument holes, are they? Look at a bunch of aspen install pictures and there are the old instrument holes peeking above the aspens...

I’ll take a closer look at mine and snap a couple close ups. There should not be any old holes behind mine. It is a fresh cut panel.

4503999ad9e4d201b27a75debfdba2af.jpg

2 hours ago, gsengle said:

there is a raised lip in the center of the mounting bracket that a spring loaded tab snaps into. This holds the unit in place and it must be pushed down to release the unit for removal. It is not the panel instrument cutout.

The quirky top artifact is a visual cue that only six-pack navigators assume they are seeing...

It really looks like the old holes of the six-pack are visible...

Have no fear, your non-Aviation friends won’t see it that way... :)

Great panel pics gents!

Thanks for sharing all the details.

The aspen guys should have used a different shape and color for that tab...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1