Do you like your Aspen MFD?

DXB

I have an Aspen PFD, GTN650, STEC 30 autopilot, plus a vac-driven AI, and ADS-out in the panel with a Kt-74 transponder but no Ads-b in.  I use my ipad with Foreflight exclusively for Ads-b in.  This setup has given me wonderful utility lately after finishing my IR, but flying approaches in IMC has also made me appreciate the value of redundancy and the limitations of relying on the ipad as a pseudo-mfd.  At this point, I'm wondering if I should dedicate the ipad to charts and approach plates and have an MFD in the panel.

My plan this fall had been to take out the vac system, install an ESI-500 and a Wx-500.  But with the release of the new Aspen Max units, I am rethinking and considering spending more money.  With the ESI-500 around 6k and the Aspen MFD1000 MAX around 8k, the Aspen seems a better value proposition - it can serve as a stand alone backup to the pfd (which I would also have to upgrade for 3K).   Downsides would be having to install ads-b in separately in my panel to get maximal utility out of the Aspen MFD and also have to pay for nav data for the MFD.  My focused questions:

1. To folks who have a 2 panel Aspen system, how do you like the MFD? If you didn't have it and had to use the ipad with foreflight plus ads-b in, would you miss it terribly?

2. Do you know any good low cost alternatives to the King KGX130R to get ads-b into my panel if I do go the Aspen MFD route?

image.thumb.png.0fdd06d03731f484311e88b4cdff94b4.png

image.thumb.png.c63b67ddab903de05e9d8e61aeef029c.png

Aspen recently partnered with L3 and has been offering some very attractive discounts on ADS-B installs. 

You do not need to have nav data on the MFD. The Seattle Avionics chart/plate data is all I have.

In "hard" IFR I want all my navigation data in front of me on certified equipment.

I have been told (but not personally seen) the new MAX screen is awesome.

• Like 1

I recently put three Aspens and I'm really enjoying them. I like having ADS-B in, especially traffic, right in front of me. 

I went from an Avidyne transponder which was my ADS-B-OUT to a Garmin GTX345 transponder which is my ADS-B out and provides -IN to the Aspens and my Avidyne. It would also provide it to your GTN650. There is an unlock fee of $795 for ADS-B unlock on the Aspens but I bet you could negotiate that in on the deal.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

There is an unlock fee of $795 for ADS-B unlock on the Aspens.

I'm glad someone pointed this out to me  - helps me avoid indignant behavior in front of my avionics installer after he breaks the news :lol:

I thought really hard about adding a aspen mfd to my panel. In fact I had a brand new unit on my desk for months trying to make the decision. In the end I sold the unit to a forum member because I did not want to add a 345 to the plane as I already had a like new 330es.  I was planning on picking up a gdl 50r (with a 660 above my 430) to mount behind the panel and hardwire that to my 430w for Flight plane transfer and my 330es for tis traffic. It would also put adsb info on ForeFlight and push my flight plan one way to the iPad. 

As of now I still have my iPhone 7 Plus mounted above the 430 which along with my iPad (yoke) provides info from my stratus 2 (worth about 10 cents these days). Traffic and weather on my iPhone with plates and charts on the iPad. 

2 minutes ago, DXB said:

I'm glad someone pointed this out to me  - helps me avoid indignant behavior in front of my avionics installer after he breaks the news :lol:

OSH ‘17 had the SV, AOA, and adsb for $1300. Somehow not one of those unlocks made it to my aspen.  I guess I like it how it is. 

Dev - I’ve been flying behind an Aspen MFD for the past 6 years. I found I use it a lot more than I thought I would. Everything from displaying weather:
c42b6b1c9e3e21be89fe64f1808de447.jpg

To picking up a convective SIGMET:

f16791f4d0917be6ac848874957897a8.jpg

To watching for traffic:

18a056e97f7391a17abeb49350cdd4a2.jpg

And as a Nav HSI backup to the PFD’s HSI:

a237cc25966b5ef8542b53c556967392.jpg

I use my iPad exclusively for charts now and to upload the databases to the GTN. I have the Aspen charts on the MFD and will use them when the weather isn’t too low (sounds like an argument to buy a third Aspen).

fa9662986f2ba64ed9d4814524fe8651.jpg

Not to forget the full backup to the PFD if it is ever needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

In my J I had a single PFD. In my Encore I have a 3-display Aspen install. I only wanted 2 displays, but Aspen had a screaming deal about 18 months ago that I could not pass up. Basically it was 3 displays, all unlocks, at about half price.

What I really like about the Aspen architecture is that you have full redundancy (except the pitot tube.) If something fails at a bad time you are not flying on backup instrumentation, you are flying the same thing you always fly. I think this is the big benefit. If I had a 2 display system it would certainly be the MFD1000 and not the MFD500.

Now that I have the 3 displays, I do like having them. On an approach I typically have the approach chart on 1 MFD and the map on the other. The PFD has SV turned on. So I don't really need the ipad anymore, but I still use it. 

• Like 2

I'm not really qualified to speak on this matter... but when has that stopped me before?

With the previous Aspen units I couldn't justify the second unit (MFD). Mainly because I have the very same information, data, charts, traffic, etc. on the IFD540 just a few inches over. I know it could back up the PFD, but there was still the requirement to have an AI backup regardless. 

With the new Aspen Max screens, (I saw them at OSH and they look great!) the additional AI backup isn't needed, so two Aspen screens and I could remove ALL other instruments? That's a bit more compelling. 

• Like 2

I'm not really qualified to speak on this matter... but when has that stopped me before?
With the previous Aspen units I couldn't justify the second unit (MFD). Mainly because I have the very same information, data, charts, traffic, etc. on the IFD540 just a few inches over. I know it could back up the PFD, but there was still the requirement to have an AI backup regardless. 
With the new Aspen Max screens, (I saw them at OSH and they look great!) the additional AI backup isn't needed, so two Aspen screens and I could remove ALL other instruments? That's a bit more compelling. 

Yep, with the Max version, you can rip it all out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Guess you need a new AP then.

Yeah... the Stec 3100 looks pretty good... its only $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So the answer to my (admittedly leading) question that led me to start this thread is "Yes - definitely spend more money"     I was a little naive in my hope that folks would tell me "meh the Aspen MFD is not that great - save 90% and maybe just upgrade your ipad."   Where are all the so-called CBs on this website? :lol:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DXB said:

So the answer to my (admittedly leading) question that led me to start this thread is "Yes - definitely spend more money"     I was a little naive in my hope that folks would tell me "meh the Aspen MFD is not that great - save 90% and maybe just upgrade your ipad."   Where are all the so-called CBs on this website? :lol:

I’m going against the grain but I would not spend the money unless you have a panel mount adsb in to display on the units.  The maps displays are not that intuitive (similar to the 430/530). However, having large certified screens to show a wx500, traffic, and weather is definitely worth it. 

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

The only fly in the ointment right now is that Aspen doesn't support the Altitude pre-select with my KFC-150. 

Put the altimeter over on the copilot side and leave the selector where it is. Force the rotation of copilots drooling over your panel to keep it updated. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, DXB said:

The question you asked drove away all the CB's ;)

I think one of their suggestions would be to live with what you have, convince someone else on MS to upgrade their panel that way, and then buy their plane later on.  That way, someone else pays the full cost of the upgrade :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm familiar... but that only works with the KFC200 not the 150.

Ah - my apologies, on reading the bumpf I see you are correct. Maybe worth giving Josef a call though, as I was only speaking about similar things yesterday and he mentioned it (I have a 150 too, but in EU land we need a second altimeter, so keeping the KEA130 and hence the KAS279B didn't raise its head)