M20K Boost Pump Regulator

squeaky.stow

Anybody had to repair or replace the Fuel Boost Pump Regulator on a K? Mine has died.

LASAR tells me to send it to Don Maxwell for repair, which sounds like good advice as a new one is over $1800.

It’s an Electrodelta PN 880047-something. Last numbers are scratched off. Mooney PN is 800270-523A from the IPC.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues or found a used parts source.

If LASAR tells you to send it to Don Maxwell for repair, personally I'd send it to Don Maxwell for repair  :)

LASAR deals with enough issues on Mooneys that they know who handles what the best.

1) When I had a cowl flap motor go bad in a previous airplane Mooney said they might have one in six months. LASAR told me who they sent their cowl flap motors to, George's Electric in Sacramento. As it turned out George had exhausted his supply of parts so it had to go back to the manufacturer, Globe Motors. The problem is that Globe Motors doesn't deal with consumers. But George knew the name of a lady there that just might be able to help me out. I never would have known that if I hadn't talked to LASAR then George.

2) When the LEDs stopped working in my trim indicator LASAR told me that it's a 1/4 amp pico fuse that goes out. They were right and $2 for the fuse and a few dollars for someone to solder it in and I had a trim indicator again.

The point is if they tell you it's because they've done this a lot. No need to re-invent the wheel.

• Like 1

Interestingly enough I had a problem with mine recently that ended up being a "cold solder" (did I get that right @DanM20C ?) Dan asked the mechanic to go ahead and drill out the rivets and found a loose wire that was quickly resolved. He used screws to close it back up in place of the rivets. 

Somebody recently reported a similar challenge for their LB.  the LO pressure wasn’t operating but the HI was...

Whatever supplies power to the LO was broken.

Sounds like a similar boost pump regulator....

The hint was the pump wasn’t working steadily on the LO mode.  No issue on the HI mode.  

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Sent it to Don Maxwell today. Estimate is under $400.

Sounds like I am not the first. Low boost just uses the regulator to reduce voltage to the pump. Pump works fine, and there is power at the switch but it doesn't make it through the regulator.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 9:09 PM, JRam said:

Interestingly enough I had a problem with mine recently that ended up being a "cold solder"

The wire terminations in the regulator had some sub-par solder joints.  The only strain relief for the bundle of wires going into the requlator was an adel clamp on the outside of the box.  It was just a mater of time until there was a problem.  In your case 34years:)

Cheers,

Dan