Hurricane Flo - Recovery

Yetti

1 hour ago, teejayevans said:

While I can see the symbolism of support, a single tractor trailer can carry what, a 1000 Mooney loads?

The Objective of Operation Airdrop is to provide the "last mile" of logistics until normal supply chain logistics can get back online.   In reality my wife stated that with "how humiliating for the older people to need a clean diaper"   She bought every box of adult diapers in the section at walmart.   

Several nights ago a restaurant donated 1000 hot meals.   The logistics team had no planes at the end of the day so they jumped in their planes and delivered them.

in 2017 during Harvey myself and one other flew 100 or so pizzas from San Antonio to Bay City Texas.   The Airport manager  at Bay City as he was loading up his truck said "This will be the first hot meal the people in the shelter have had in a week"    I pretty much was in tears the whole way back to my home base.

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, teejayevans said:

While I can see the symbolism of support, a single tractor trailer can carry what, a 1000 Mooney loads?

Teejay, 

Not to be rude but must have never been on the back end of a hurricane recovery and have no frame of reference of what is entailed. 

I flew a chain saw crew to Rock Port a week after Harvey. It was just a house a day. 

Your ignorent and every one of those volunteers burning their gas and time deserves an apology. 

Teejay, 
Not to be rude but must have never been on the back end of a hurricane recovery and have no frame of reference of what is entailed. 

Your ignorent and every one of those volunteers burning their gas and time deserves an apology. 

Actually I’ve been through too many to count, I lived in eastern US my whole life, including eastern NC and Florida. I’ve been part of several cleanup efforts going back to hurricane Agnes. And remember all the large trucks, electrical service vehicles, bulldozers, etc that came. I understand some places like outer banks or the keys or islands require boat or airplane access but but most places can be access via highways.
I ask the question respectfully and I’m not apologizing.

2 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Actually I’ve been through too many to count, I lived in eastern US my whole life, including eastern NC and Florida. I’ve been part of several cleanup efforts going back to hurricane Agnes. And remember all the large trucks, electrical service vehicles, bulldozers, etc that came. I understand some places like outer banks or the keys or islands require boat or airplane access but but most places can be access via highways.
I ask the question respectfully and I’m not apologizing.

Today from Airdrop:

“Good Evening Matt,

Over 55,000 pounds today and 96 total flights! That brings our total to somewhere in the neighborhood of 185,000 pounds over four days.

Tomorrow we're in Maxton (MEB) again, Columbus county (CPC), a few heavy deliveries to New Bern, and lets just say there's an old dragstrip outside Kinston and some guys with Helio Couriers. Put two and two together on that one.”

The trucks arent able to roll yet but more than a few trucks delivered.

Questioned answered?

What was learned during Harvey was the government was busy counting water bottles.   The private people were too busy moving stuff to people who needed it to bother much about counting it.

Looks like most of the roads in the south eastern quarter of North Carolina are still closed.

https://tims.ncdot.gov/tims/

Yetti I flew over Kingston to New Bern low, I saw a huge beautiful lake, as I got closer home roofs were showing through.  SAD. All we can do is help and pray, saw 5-6 Mooneys 

On another note a 2018 new Cirrus left behind me out of EWN and the controller gave me a vector so he wouldn’t run over me, after five he said sorry 3ps direct RDU, your 20+ knots faster.

Talked to the nice guy in RDU he asked are all Mooneys that fast, I smiled and said yep, I was dialed back for fuel savings, I didn’t have the heart to tell him that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Kudos to everyone helping out you are just a part of a very important chain.   You probably will not get to see how much help you are providing to people who really need it.  I verified this story with the Airport manager in Kountze.   This is the meal that Red Cross was able to provide.

11634114_G.jpg

What was happening on the private side was people were pulling together at their churches and going into church caring mode.    At the airport there were the big broiler pans of casseroles and bread pudding.   They were feeding the pilots bringing supplies the Army guard soldiers at the airport and anyone who needed it.   Her comment was "We know how to take care of people".   The Army guard had taken over the airport pushing Operation Airdrop out to the end of the ramp.  The Army finally relinquished the ramp to us as all they were doing was sitting around.  Again their supplies were busy being counted, not moving.

• Like 2

And we're done . . . But NC's problems are far from over yet.

Flight ops in North Carolina by us are ended as of yesterday. Some local folks are continuing on a smaller scale on their own, but we decided that Sunday was a good stopping point for us. We are, after all, a week one disaster response organization. There are jobs better done by trucks, and jobs that a Blackhawk needs to do instead of a civilian airplane. North Carolina is largely into those phases now.

We shattered all previous metrics that we used to measure our success on this one. Number of flights, number of volunteers both pilot and non, number of tons delivered; all are records in terms of this organization. Thank you all for making that happen.

• 517 flights

• 280,000 pounds of cargo

• 468 volunteer pilots

• All of those numbers reached in less time than we spent on Houston last year.

Until next time,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1