LED Position Lights

chuck459

I am interested in replacing my stock nav lights with LED’s.  I like the Whelen Chroma Position Lamps for the wingtips.  While a little expensive, they seem to be well made and have a good warranty.  These lights only come in red or green.  The documentation says they can be installed under the existing colored lens.  That seems a little strange.  Would not the brightness be considerably increased if the colored lens was replaced with a clear one?  If anyone has installed these lights, I would appreciate an impression and any suggestions.  As for the tail light, I am leaning toward the Aeroleds Polaris.

chuck459@mac.com

Colored glass or plastic is simply a filter. A incandescent bulb gives off a broad range of wavelengths that make a warm white light. The green and red glass lenses filter out wavelengths to make a red or green light. So, if you put a red or green light behind them then all of the light passes through. That assumes the wavelengths that make red or green in the glass are identical to the new LED lights. They are probably close, but not perfect, so there will be some loss...but not much.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chuck459 said:

I am interested in replacing my stock nav lights with LED’s.  I like the Whelen Chroma Position Lamps for the wingtips.  While a little expensive, they seem to be well made and have a good warranty.  These lights only come in red or green.  The documentation says they can be installed under the existing colored lens.  That seems a little strange.  Would not the brightness be considerably increased if the colored lens was replaced with a clear one?  If anyone has installed these lights, I would appreciate an impression and any suggestions.  As for the tail light, I am leaning toward the Aeroleds Polaris.

chuck459@mac.com

why not do the whelen 650e that contains both a strobe and a nav. when doing this you can get rid of the power supplies which usually add about 5 to 10 lbs of useful load.

Edited by Niko182

Wow!  That is a beautiful installation.  The 650's however would almost double the cost of simply adding LED bulbs to my existing fixtures.  If I did not already have good wingtip strobes, that would certainly be a consideration.  I have changed my mind on the tail light; I think I will now go with the Whelen 71554.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2018 at 4:06 PM, MB65E said:

Awesome lamp. They just received their PMA I believe. I have them on 3 different aircraft. 

I changed to all clear lenses.

No harm in running colored lenses. 

Whelen also makes a nice tail lamp LED.

-Matt

@MB65E where did you find clear lenses.?

Aircraft spruce has 3 choices for clear nav lense replacement.

I prefer the clear PSA lense. 

T1284PC is their part number

11-09299 is spruce’s part number. 

I tried the “navstrobe” companies clear lense and couldn’t get consistency with the height of the lense. 

Whelen makes the clear lenses too at 3x the cost. 

-Matt

• Thanks 1

On 9/16/2018 at 3:47 PM, chuck459 said:

chuck459@mac.com

I'm running them. I do love them. I'd buy em again in a heartbeat.

24059674_10155925644949640_6778968550017886103_o.jpg

26170618_10156058794619640_3600609959672576096_o.jpg

• Like 1