430W TAWS?

Marauder

FWIW, GTN 650 provides this for free with latest update:

• The addition of new audible and visual terrain proximity alerts, including “terrain ahead, pull up,” “obstacle ahead, pull up” and “wire ahead.” An aural “five-hundred” annunciation is also available when the aircraft is on approach to land.

From Garmin’s site:

Enhance Situational Awareness

GNS 430W seamlessly integrates built-in terrain and navigation databases, providing a clear, concise picture of where you are and where you’re heading...

It was a very expensive option;

The built-in terrain is not TAWS. TAWS includes verbal warnings like mentioned by TJ. The GNS and GTN series contain terrain databases. It is the verbal warnings that define TAWS. In addition to calling out terrain, the “pull up”, “sink rate” and other warnings are part of TAWS.

Based on the Garmin site, it looks like it is only optional on the 500 series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FWIW, GTN 650 provides this for free with latest update:
  • The addition of new audible and visual terrain proximity alerts, including “terrain ahead, pull up,” “obstacle ahead, pull up” and “wire ahead.” An aural “five-hundred” annunciation is also available when the aircraft is on approach to land.

Do you know if this on the 6.50 firmware update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was simply pointing out what the Garmin site stated the 430w has.    I generally realize TAWS is quite an upgrade and a nice add-on if you can get it. 

Thanks. I'm trying to help someone who is being told a 430 unit has TAWS. From what I can tell, it was never offered on the 400 series, only the 500 series. It was an expensive option on a 530 but I don't think it made it to the 400 models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1