another panel arrangement thread

rbridges

I'm wanting to add a primary engine monitor, maybe a JPI 930.  This will probably do it for me for a while.  

I want to remove:  UBG16 backup engine monitor, KN64, gauges by CB panel, factory gauges at top of panel.   I'm leaning towards removing both VOR CDIs.  Is that a bad idea?  

I'd like to get the engine monitor on the left side, but I don't think there will be enough room.  The transponder will go in the center stack.

Any feedback or suggestions?

panel.jpg

Yep, I'd remove the VOR CDI's. Both of them can be displayed on the Aspen anyway. Then since I'm spending your money... I'd move the autopilot one spot to the right, move the storm scope up, and put in the EDM-900 across the spots vacated by the storm scope and the lower CDI.

I don't see much benefit in the 930 over the 900. It's just a larger screen. If I was having to mount the engine monitor on the far right side... then I'd maybe go 930. But if I can mount it close to me, on the left side, then 900 seems to me to be a better choice.

I won't post another pic of my panel here ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

I won't post another pic of my panel here ;)

Well, I will offer the alternative consideration. Again, with pics. The size of the 930 is such that it can be placed on the right side, above the copilot yoke and be both visible and easily reached. My preference is to reserve the left panel for the aviate/navigate/even communicate priorities. Engine management is none of those activities. (The JPI RAD above the Aspen displays the RPM and MAP as well as alarms.) 

IMG_20180720_104754102_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180310_112740240.jpg

• Like 2

Here's a Mooney panel that I have been experimenting with.  The off-centre HSI in the standard Mooney layout hurts my OCD, much prefer the aligned look.  Allows a bit more space between instruments (required for flush mounting G5 etc.)

Also attached is a C172 panel I did recently.  I was concerned that the EDM900 would be a bit low, but after flying to KOSH and back, I can assure you it is fine.  Next row up would be better.  I would not install an EDM900 on the far side, go for an EDM930 then.

And I second the opinion that you need to keep a second ILS (or VOR indicator).  Need something in case the aspen goes dark.

I'd be happy to work with you on developing a layout, and of course supplying an EDM900.

Aerodon

IMG_7824.JPG

IMG_7611.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm wanting to add a primary engine monitor, maybe a JPI 930.  This will probably do it for me for a while.  
I want to remove:  UBG16 backup engine monitor, KN64, gauges by CB panel, factory gauges at top of panel.   I'm leaning towards removing both VOR CDIs.  Is that a bad idea?  
I'd like to get the engine monitor on the left side, but I don't think there will be enough room.  The transponder will go in the center stack.

Any feedback or suggestions?
panel.jpg.faa909330bca4fbf0a0fb44ff84b3ee6.jpg

Not sure of your long term plans, I would leave a CDI in the panel, add a second Aspen or install a standby AI/HSI that has Nav capabilities.

ad098a5e8d293bcc7eebba63eea610b7.jpg

Regardless which way you go with the standby CDI, I find it is an important backup if I am flying an approach.

018126ca39957fa8782be067838fca02.jpg

I’m with TJ and others who say they want the engine monitor in the field of view. IMHO it is the most important tool in a single engine plane. I have the idiot light for the JPI in my plane but I find I look at the JPI on a regular basis for everything from engine status to fuel estimates (like fuel to destination, etc.) to setting the power. A primary engine analyzer is an integral part of plane management and I wouldn’t want it sitting off to the side.

a098f8c685b0dd6cee258cd6c6a03b78.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Maybe a bit of heresy here...

First of all, I find that the instrument I use the most when I'm flying... is the engine monitor. I fly most flights over an hour or several hours and usually let the autopilot fly the plane. But I'm constantly monitoring the engine and making sure I'm getting the best performance/efficiency/etc out of my engine. Since I'm so proactive with the engine monitor, I like to have it on the left side and in my line of view.

Secondly I don't see the ROI of having a backup VOR head. I have so many GPS options in the cockpit that in the unlikely event the Aspen goes dark, I've got a secondary AI which is the most important backup. Navigation can be provided by any of the GPS's in the cockpit. And in the very unlikely event that I have to shoot an approach without the Aspen, autopilot, etc. and can't divert to someplace with better weather, the nav sources such as the panel mounted GPS, IFD540, my iPad with ForeFlight, etc. will be more than enough to get me down. In fact, I'd probably do that instead of using the backup VOR head, even if I had it. 

It just seems like such an unlikely event, and the VOR head would be my third or forth backup option... not the first or even second. Therefore there's not enough ROI to give it space in the panel.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/15/2018 at 6:51 PM, Aerodon said:

Here's a Mooney panel that I have been experimenting with.  The off-centre HSI in the standard Mooney layout hurts my OCD, much prefer the aligned look.  Allows a bit more space between instruments (required for flush mounting G5 etc.)

Also attached is a C172 panel I did recently.  I was concerned that the EDM900 would be a bit low, but after flying to KOSH and back, I can assure you it is fine.  Next row up would be better.  I would not install an EDM900 on the far side, go for an EDM930 then.

And I second the opinion that you need to keep a second ILS (or VOR indicator).  Need something in case the aspen goes dark.

I'd be happy to work with you on developing a layout, and of course supplying an EDM900.

Aerodon

IMG_7824.JPG

IMG_7611.jpeg

@Aerodon did that experimental Mooney panel ever materialize ?  I'm about to do the same for my 252, but I'd move the EDM900 up.