Stormscope

jazztheglass

5 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

You do have to be careful to ask ATC where they are getting any weather info from.  Approach radar has a wavelength very close to NEXRAD radar, so they can see much the same levels of precip that NEXRAD can (although maybe not as good detail).  Center radar is a longer wavelength and cannot see precip very well unless it is heavy.  It can, however, see lightning strikes.

On the other hand, I think center controllers can get a NEXRAD overlay on their screen and provide information from NEXRAD data.  The problem, of course, is that their NEXRAD data is subject to the same inherent delay as any info you get through XM or FIS-B.

So if your margin for thunderstorm avoidance is low and you're working with a center facility, it would make sense to ask them whether they are getting their data from their radar ("plus's and H's") or whether they are getting their data from a NEXRAD overlay ("levels of precip").  If they are talking about light or moderate precip, I think that means you can assume they are going off a NEXRAD overlay.

Rod Machado has a terribly good description of ATC weather data and how to use it in his "Instrument Pilot's Survival Manual"

...but no mater the source, does ATC provide lightening data??

2 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

...but no mater the source, does ATC provide lightening data??

Yes, center gets real-time lightning data on their radar, it's depicted as + signs.  So if you ask center if they can see any "plus's" and they respond, you know they are talking about real-time lightning data.  On the other hand, if you ask them about lightning and they tell you about lightning, it's not clear whether they are using their real-time data or their delayed NEXRAD data, so you'd need to ask them to clarify that.

I have a great respect for ATC. They are almost always professional, helpful, and patient. But unless something has changed, ATC's primary role is separation of IFR traffic.  When the sky gets dicey along my intended path I do not want to be dependent upon a 3rd party who has a primary responsibility that does not include providing weather info to each plane she's working. Murphy rules the world and you can be sure that the controller will be up to his armpits handling diverting kerosene burners just when I'd like to have a little chat about my possible strategy to through the line of weather I am not equipped to see.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

I have a great respect for ATC. They are almost always professional, helpful, and patient. But unless something has changed, ATC's primary role is separation of IFR traffic.  When the sky gets dicey along my intended path I do not want to be dependent upon a 3rd party who has a primary responsibility that does not include providing weather info to each plane she's working. Murphy rules the world and you can be sure that the controller will be up to his armpits handling diverting kerosene burners just when I'd like to have a little chat about my possible strategy to through the line of weather I am not equipped to see.

"Center, Mooney 123, workload permitting, could you advise me of any plus's and H's along my route in your area, and vectors as needed to remain clear of them?"  I imagine that would work?

"Center, Mooney 123, workload permitting, could you advise me of any plus's and H's along my route in your area, and vectors as needed to remain clear of them?"  I imagine that would work?

Most of the time. But remember, Murphy rules the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, in Marauder’s neighborhood that’s way too wordy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jazztheglass said:

So after deciding completely against the stormscope one of the ebay venders sent me a link for a scope "more in my price range."  Which was kind I thought.  SO here it is, what do you guys think of this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352465483588

I would snap it up before someone else does and sell yours as a core for someone to have repaired.

• 9 months later...

New to this thread.  I've got a serious radial spread issue with my WX-1000.  Strikes are clustered in wedges in the correct direction but wrong distance.  I read that this a common issue with older stormscopes.  L3 suggests a new antenna to perhaps reduce the problem.  Anyone have experience with just changing the antenna to get more accurate reception?  There are used ones out there for as little as $100, but with unknown abuse factor.

Stormscope fail 4.jpg

On the way to Oshkosh there were some severe storms in Minnesota.  I got massive radial spread in two directions aimed towards the storms.  There was no convective activity anywhere near the where the WX500 was showing lots of radial spread activity.  It certainly wasn't a useful piece of hardware in this situation.  I had never seen it so bad in the past.  It was complete VFR along my whole route.

4 hours ago, globalpolygraph said:

New to this thread.  I've got a serious radial spread issue with my WX-1000.  Strikes are clustered in wedges in the correct direction but wrong distance.  I read that this a common issue with older stormscopes.  L3 suggests a new antenna to perhaps reduce the problem.  Anyone have experience with just changing the antenna to get more accurate reception?  There are used ones out there for as little as $100, but with unknown abuse factor.

Stormscope fail 4.jpg

If I were to interpret that image, I would say you had significant cells at 2oclock and 50 miles, 8 oclock and 70 miles, and 9 to 10 o’clock and 50 miles.   The cells look pretty wide and I would guess were building, especially the one at 2 o’clock.  Is that anywhere near correct? It seems that the radial spread is most active when there is serious activity.  I see similar on my old Wx-1000, but perhaps not as significant....but that may depend on what was really out there.  I do know it can be unnerving if you don’t need have eyes on the weather. This is where having additional resources helps with the big picture.  In this case eyes are best, radar nice...but not in a Mooney and Nexrad.....with its known limitations.  Don’t know about the antenna, but worth trying Toms suggestion.  Clean not only the contacts, but the ground plane.  The bottom mount antennas have trouble clearing moisture and you can get corrosion.  This might make the spread worse.  

I’ve found good correlation between the NEXRAD, Stormscope and radar this summer.  

Stormscope only shows strikes, so a Cb in the building stage may be invisible.  

Here is one ambitious boomer on its way to afternoon greatness.  BDF19A04-C237-44B6-A90F-0D95CA100E1A.thumb.jpeg.5bcdb892e9377ce5194ae9e120f288d6.jpeg

The top of that cloud off to the right is well above us (we were at FL270). It shows up clearly on the radar display:

EB8DDFA0-6A42-4285-90A4-8677D722D8C2.thumb.jpeg.4f1df71b9d7fb89743a5ff0882d39896.jpeg

But the Stormscope below the radar shows nothing. 

The winds aloft were exceptionally light that day.  Perhaps that reduces the apparent delay in NEXRAD as the building clouds were not moving over the ground much.  

• Like 2