Corrosion or not ?

Airways

Hi guys,

I have zero background in maintenance so I'd like to use the massive knowledge present on this forum for feedback on a couple of pictures.

Aircraft is an '88 M20K with its second paint job (long ago).  The aircraft isn't mine but might (or not) come up for sale.

Question is: is the corrosion that I see on the pictures 1) really corrosion and 2) does it need to be adressed urgently ?  I'm thinking yes and no. But again, I have nothing to back this up...

Thanks !

mainwheel_li.JPG

MainwheelwellRe.JPG

cowling.JPG

it is hard to tell `corrosion in pictures, the best way to determine the if it is and the extent is to have an expert look at it. 

Pic 1 looks like residual from a long term fuel seep

Pic 2 I'm not sure what you are trying to show, I do see plenty of grease that was not wiped off after servicing.

Pic 3 loos like an exhaust leak that bubble the paint and was painted over after the leak was repaired, but as stated earlier you can't make an accurate assessment from pics, only guesses. 

Brian

Landing gear steel has a tendency to get its paint scratched/worn and light rust occurs.

Some people will remove the gear to properly strip and paint it.

Some nose gear is so old it gets an OH for wear parts.

Storing outside will have more rust on the gear than storing indoors.

Real expensive corrosion issues are where certain alloys of aluminum carry weight.

All corrosion is not the same.  None of it is appreciated.  Some is more expensive to fix then others...

When corrosion gets found, fixing it now is better than waiting....

Look up surface corrosion and compare to inter-granular corrosion.... and how quickly they can spread.

Have no fear, done properly, ownership can be forever....

that third picture is showing something really funny.... paintwise... heat damage and paint over?  You want to know what caused that... and how it got repaired properly...  read the logs.

know what a PPI is, buy as much technical advice as you can...

As for this bird... ask the owner while pointing at the cowl issues and say.... ‘what is that?’ listen closely to the response... the repair for that can be really important...

Got any technical back ground?

Are you familiar with turbo planes?

Buying old worn machines with this level of technicality can be expensive. Don’t save money on maintenance if you are not familiar with this stuff...

Or get familiar, quickly... 

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic....

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks for all the input guys.  I’m thinking of making this a long term restauration project.  The engine and prop are up for overhaul so maybe a good time to fix all the dents and bruises and give the interior an update.  Let’s see what the prebuy reveals...

On 9/14/2018 at 4:15 PM, M20Doc said:

Plenty of blue fuel dye in the wheel well.  While not terminal, it will need fixing.

Clarence

I saw that.

Pull the rear seat. Pull some covers.   Pull the wing root rear most inspection cover look in there.   pictures from up in the wheel well would be better.