A Surprise with the G500 TXi

donkaye

In reading the manual for the latest update to the G500 TXi I came across something that hasn't been promoted, something that I had wished Garmin would add but I had never asked about it. They now give an option for an Arc VSI. I rushed over to my Avionics shop today (the change is not user selectable) and had them change the setting. The result is shown in the pictures. One of the pictures is without VNAV and the other shows the VNAV descent into San Jose. The large descent rate required was due to the East Bay Hills. The VNAV on vertical Glideslope indicator and VNAV required rate are clearly shown. I set up the VNAV to arrive at SJC at 1,000 feet MSL.

I also had the chance to try out the CDI Preview. It is really slick. I ran the full ILS Approach into Stockton with the holding pattern in lieu of a PT. All was done in GPSS mode until established on final. The preview of the ILS showed up on both the CDI and the Glideslope indicator in gray while the active GPSS had the standard color.

Leave it to Garmin to come up with another really great update for both the G500 and GTNs.  I'm still learning how to most effectively use the new VNAV.

IMG_20180913_173525397.jpg

IMG_20180913_175047924_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180913_175455888.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice pics, Don.

Interesting, the same detail, but comes with an anti-distraction method of confirming/finding the data you are looking for....

Odd that it isn’t user definable.... in the case where you might want to experiment with the two formats for a few hours to select which one is preferable?

Best regards,

-a-

22 hours ago, donkaye said:
In reading the manual for the latest update to the G500 TXi I came across something that hasn't been promoted, something that I had wished Garmin would add but I had never asked about it. They now give an option for an Arc VSI. I rushed over to my Avionics shop today (the change is not user selectable) and had them change the setting. The result is shown in the pictures. One of the pictures is without VNAV and the other shows the VNAV descent into San Jose. The large descent rate required was due to the East Bay Hills. The VNAV on vertical Glideslope indicator and VNAV required rate are clearly shown. I set up the VNAV to arrive at SJC at 1,000 feet MSL.

I also had the chance to try out the CDI Preview. It is really slick. I ran the full ILS Approach into Stockton with the holding pattern in lieu of a PT. All was done in GPSS mode until established on final. The preview of the ILS showed up on both the CDI and the Glideslope indicator in gray while the active GPSS had the standard color.

Leave it to Garmin to come up with another really great update for both the G500 and GTNs.  I'm still learning how to most effectively use the new VNAV.

Don, does this upgrade apply to the G500 also or just the G500txi?  I’ll go in next week to get the SW updated and get some pointers and practice with the new features.  The arc VSI is really slick, and looks a lot like some of the Honeywell Primus displays.

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Don, does this upgrade apply to the G500 also or just the G500txi?  I’ll go in next week to get the SW updated and get some pointers and practice with the new features.  The arc VSI is really slick, and looks a lot like some of the Honeywell Primus displays.

Steve

Yes, for the update---called 7.3.  I scanned through the new G500 manual.  Has the new VNAV symbols used in conjunction with the GTN update. Has CDI/VDI preview.   Does not have the Arc VDI.  Does not have Density Altitude as a menu item.  Does not have Temperature Compensation for minimums for approaches.  Time to upgrade to the TXi?

2 hours ago, rpcc said:

Not a good or bad comment, but it's Interesting that with - guessing 100k of panel work - you still find a portable useful on your yoke.  To me that says Garmin has really missed something . 

My Dell desktop PC has an external keyboard.  Doesn’t mean the designers forget to put it inside the PC.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, rpcc said:

Not a good or bad comment, but it's Interesting that with - guessing 100k of panel work - you still find a portable useful on your yoke.  To me that says Garmin has really missed something . 

I will always have an iPad on the yoke no matter what my panel has. I like the idea of having a source of information that is completely independent of the aircraft power source.  If necessary, I could fly an RNAV approach with no aircraft electrical power.  Having the AHRS backup AI displayed on top of the iPad screen is another source of information independent of aircraft gyros.

9 hours ago, eman1200 said:

1) more right rudder
2) more left rudder
3) more left rudder

Oh, and pretty coo!

The trim was centered.  It was me trying to get the correct photo position and hitting the rudder peddle in the process.  I'll have to watch out for that in the future.  Good catch.  I hadn't noticed that before.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, rpcc said:

My 796 goes with me everywhere including my own airplane.  Garmin didn't miss anything on the panel.  I just find that I can get to some things much faster than playing with the panel mounted control knobs, i.e., individual weather products, AOPA airport information, Jeppesen approach Charts that I use as my primary source for charts (would have to pay $4,300 to get them on the 750 and G500 TXi).  And don't forget an additional source of XM weather and music, and a backup attitude indicator.  The 796 is waaay too underrated.  It's so much better than an iPad, which I do have as a backup to the backup.

• Like 2

On 9/13/2018 at 9:35 PM, donkaye said:

IMG_20180913_173525397.jpg

IMG_20180913_175047924_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180913_175455888.jpg

thats Pretty sweet- at first I thought you were talking about the descent indicator (ie the “Boeing banana”) now I see that you’re referring to the indicator on the VSI.  Nice!

Edited by M016576

Just a comment and of course you need to use the tools that most efficiently get you the info you need.  I guess if I was a Garmin engineer or sales person Id be bummed out tha I guy that spent 100k on his panel still needed a yoke mounted gps.  

If your saying your 796 does the job better easier quicker whatever,  that's what you are going to use and great that's exactly what you should do.  If this is the case  the garmin dudes screwed up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rpcc said:

Just a comment and of course you need to use the tools that most efficiently get you the info you need.  I guess if I was a Garmin engineer or sales person Id be bummed out tha I guy that spent 100k on his panel still needed a yoke mounted gps.  

If your saying your 796 does the job better easier quicker whatever,  that's what you are going to use and great that's exactly what you should do.  If this is the case  the garmin dudes screwed up.

I don’t think the garmin engineers or sales people are bummed at all... I think they are probably happy that they sold not only the 100K system, but also the 796.  Now as the customer, that’s a different story!

• Like 2

I did the major upgrade at the end of 2013 with the project done in March of 2014.  At the time of purchase of the products, Garmin had some pretty good rebates.  Then there were some more by attending some seminars at Oshkosh.  EI also had Oshkosh rebates and I got a good deal on the original ESI 2000.  Then the Avionics shop gave me some more discounts as a result of installing all of the products that I installed.  Over a couple of months period of time I got almost 25% of the cost back in sales of my legacy equipment.  A couple of years later I upgraded the ESI 2000 to the ESI 500 because it had NAV and I upgraded the GTX 330ES to the GTX 335 because I didn't like the green display of the 330ES.  I added the AOA and then in June upgraded the G500 to the G500 TXi because of the Garmin rebate.  So I have top of the line state of the art avionics in a pretty fast airplane.  Except for lack of pressurization, I'd rather have what I have than a used TBM with nowhere near the equipment capability.  It's really not that much slower, and I don't intend to fly in weather  that would require turbines with their associated maintenance costs.  Netted out, the cost was quite a bit less than the $100K stated above, but the products obviously cost more than that.  I made good use of rebates.

Regarding the Aera 796, I've had every Garmin handheld with the exception of the 196.  I started out with the original GPS 90 many years ago.  I use the 796 extensively in my flight instruction to normalize airplanes with various avionics packages.  I can go anywhere with it and have weather, and I have.  In my own plane I use the map page a lot with two rows of information.  I really use the weather icon because I can show individual XM information quickly.  It bluetooths to the GDL 88 for FIS-B weather and traffic (including correlated Active Traffic), the GDL 69A for XM weather and music, and the GTN 750 for flight plans and as a pass though from the G500 TXi for ADHRS.  There's so much more to it that I use in addition to all my panel stuff, but there's not enough space or time to review it here.  Suffice to say it just adds to the overall panel mounts.  Yes, I'm fortunate that other events in my life have enabled me to have this great equipment and to devote much of my time to flying and teaching.

3 hours ago, M016576 said:

I don’t think the garmin engineers or sales people are bummed at all... I think they are probably happy that they sold not only the 100K system, but also the 796.  Now as the customer, that’s a different story!

Really - well I build software systems for a living and I would feel terrible if I built a system for a client and they still used something 12 years older because what I just built wasn't as good.  Say what you will, but hey I have pride in what I build.

• 2 months later...

Another surprise if I’m reading correctly.

With a EIS enabled txi and FLightstream 510 an Apple device can display full time engine parameters 

this would save the  cost of a dedicated 7”  EIS display. Let’s see if my comprehension is correct. 

Comments?

On another note I thought I could unlock chart view and drop Jeppesen approach charts onto my new 1060 display or alternatively change to Garmin charts using Onepack.

No Onepack available in Australia yet.

Its looking like I’ll be keeping charts on my iPad??

Need some enlightenment.

My G500 TXi (EIS enabled), backup G5, new panel etc is being installed as I write.

Gtn750, remote 345 remote transponder installed 2016

No steam gauges left. Keeping WX1000 and 2nd radio/nav

I've been advised that Garmin are talking to CASA about their charts being used in Australia but talking to Casa is probably like talking to FAA?

• 2 years later...

Good question Limey...!

Traditionally when using the usual cohort of APs...

When using GPSS boxes, the AP is set in heading mode, and the GPSS keeps updating what the target heading is...

Lets see if @donkaye is around tonight....

We can also see how much @KLudwick knows about the whole family of Big G avionics... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Good question Limey...!

Traditionally when using the usual cohort of APs...

When using GPSS boxes, the AP is set in heading mode, and the GPSS keeps updating what the target heading is...

Lets see if @donkaye is around tonight....

We can also see how much @KLudwick knows about the whole family of Big G avionics... :)

Best regards,

-a-

When I had the KFC 150 you would just hold the heading icon on the G500 TXi and heading would change to GPSS, however....I have a student who has the S-Tec 55 that has GPSS built in and I think he sets it on the AP.  If the -60 doesn't have built in GPSS, then it should be wired into the G500 TXi to just hold the heading icon to switch to the built in GPSS of the TXi.   Best yet, upgrade to the GFC 500 that interfaces beautifully with the TXi.

• Like 2