Out-of-State Purchase Transaction

Seymour

Although my current predicament is not aircraft related, the purchase process (PPI, earnest money, sales contract, etc) are exactly the same:

Looking for tips on purchasing high value items (eg. 50+ AMU) from out-of-state sellers.   Is there a 'safe' way to pass money other than using escrow.com?   They and paysafeescrow.com want ~1AMU just to hold my $ for the transaction.   

Background:
My 1989 Dodge Class B camper (see picture in thread "Your favorite ride with your favorite plane") doesn't have enough life for multiple cross-country trips so I'm purchasing a very lightly used 2018 camper from a private party in Winter Haven, FL.    Typically,  I'll execute a transaction like this at a local bank and provide the seller with a cashier's check for the full amount and the seller will hand me the title and keys.    ....but I don't want to take 2 trips down (one for the transaction, and another to pick up the vehicle).   Massachusetts does not issue temporary plates and requires a signed Title before registering the vehicle.  The seller won't sign and send the title until they have the $.  I won't send the $ until I have a signed title.  

Thoughts and/or experiences, both good and bad welcomed.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by Seymour

Thanks for all the replies.   I'm not able to drive it away with the current owner's Florida tags, and only Florida residents are able to get temporary Florida tags.   However, in a discussion with the seller today, he suggested using a local attorney friend of his to hold the funds in escrow.  That'll be fine with me because an attorney won't risk their reputation or practice over a vehicle sale.   I'll post how it works out. 

On 9/13/2018 at 5:48 PM, Seymour said:

Couldn't find the thread, but even the summary has me shaking.   

Interesting to see what others consider a "worst nightmare".  

Sorry about that, it was an internet search of worst nightmare:

https://candysdirt.com/2016/02/02/worst-nightmare-title-company-closes-owner-absconds-funds/

Summary of article: Escrow companies (an attorney owned title company with 60 employees) can and do steal your money as well.  You are on the hook ultimately to keep your funds safe.
interesting, several parties to the transaction refused to put their signed deeds into escrow!

Regarding your transaction, I would send The application for title and a check for $125 to your dept. of motor vehicles with the lic#/VIN#  in the memo section. If you get pulled over in FLorida, the bill of sale and copy of mailed check and your out of state Driver License should get you off the hook. Works under Calif. Law FYI.

• Thanks 1

Exactly ,or simply drive it home without tags or any license plate.When pulled over ,show the signed and better yet notarized bill of sale to cop.Have Insurence binder showing vin # and address for your state.Most of the time ,the cop will let you slide but a nonregistration ticket is a non moving registration and cheap to correct in all 50 states.25 bucks in Calif ...no big deal

• Like 1

Florida will issue a temp tag to non residents, you must have all your paperwork correctly signed in the correct places   and have your insurance. We bought a 71 Roadrunner in Miami FL and did not use a tag, got all the way near Panama City then got stopped 3 times within an hour by state troopers( no ticket or written warnings and all were extremely nice) before the 3rd one told us  to go get a temp tag at the DMV, It was a non issue to get the tag and happy we had it before traversing small town AL MS and AR. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...