New Rocket Owner

Cody Stallings

I will keep this short.

On June 2nd I took my last flight I’m my ol Trusty 67 F Model.

Windstorm snuffed the ol girl out to soon.

She will be derly missed.

Until Now.

Yesterday  I took possession of a 86 K Rocket!!

My first thoughts after 2.6 behind the fire breathing 520.

Holy Wow!!!!!!!!

B9FCE1A0-8999-4D67-AF30-C647C749DEC8.png

Edited by Cody Stallings
  • Like 12

Yes Sir I have.

Eriks Prop really turns my Crank with the weight savings, an Ramp appeal.

BUT!!!........ I’m not going to go with a MT until I get them added to my Shops capability list for O/H an Repair.

MT dosent make getting that done very easy or Cheap.

So for now I’m going to stick with the McCauley an make it look like a poor mans MT.

Its been a few years hanging on the plane, it’s time to go ahead an Overhaul it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cody Stallings said:

I will keep this short.

On June 2nd I took my last flight I’m my ol Trusty 67 F Model.

Windstorm snuffed the ol girl out to soon.

She will be derly missed.

Until Now.

Yesterday  I took possession of a 86 K Rocket!!

My first thoughts after 2.6 behind the fire breathing 520.

Holy Wow!!!!!!!!

B9FCE1A0-8999-4D67-AF30-C647C749DEC8.png

If you're gonna have a Rocket that's the one to have, a converted 252 so you get the 28 volt system and all of the nice airframe improvements. Congratulations - that's beautiful!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

If you're gonna have a Rocket that's the one to have, a converted 252 so you get the 28 volt system and all of the nice airframe improvements. Congratulations - that's beautiful!

Unfortunately this 252 just has a 12V single Alt System.

But I do enjoy all the other added creature comforts that it has to offer.

Just now, Cody Stallings said:

Unfortunately this 252 just has a 12V single Alt System.

But I do enjoy all the other added creature comforts that it has to offer.

wow ok, all 252's were 24 volt, and this is the 11th 252 to come off the line, so this must have been converted to 12 volt system during the Rocket conversion?

Either way you got a sweet ride!

• Thanks 1

Super duper Cody!!!

Anthony Cody and I did chat a bit back and forth on PM about Rocket's and also the MT prop.

For all, Cody, I don't think it is super important that your local shop is an MT prop overhaul center.  A prop is a stand alone piece of equipment like an engine, or an attitude indicator.  It can be pulled off and sent for service.  There was an occasion that I had my prop pulled and sent to Connecticut for service from the shop in Vermont.  They sent a special prop truck and picket it up whole (no disassembly - just pull the prop off and put it in the truck on a special prop carrying stand) and then off to yankee propeller it went - a prop specialty shop.  It was back on the plane within the week.  So I wouldn't let that stop you.

Cost is another thing....  new props are expensive.  But I will say it makes an entirely different airplane in terms of feel, balance, loading, sound, weight, clearance, smoothness, climb...

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

@aviatoreb I think this is a great excuse to add MT to his lineup. I’d have a hard time driving a new ford to work if I owned a Chevy dealership. However, I do agree the weight savings and balance is especially important on a rocket. 

True the lineup thing...

To all those who can read the numbers - the balance is fantastic on paper - and anyone can read and compute the changes of removing 35lbs off the nose and moving the CG back over an inch.

What is nonetheless pleasing and surprising is the degree to which what was a nose heavy airplane becomes light in pitch like one of the lighter M20's and delight to land and maneuver.  The loading envelope is more legit too.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

True the lineup thing...

To all those who can read the numbers - the balance is fantastic on paper - and anyone can read and compute the changes of removing 35lbs off the nose and moving the CG back over an inch.

What is nonetheless pleasing and surprising is the degree to which what was a nose heavy airplane becomes light in pitch like one of the lighter M20's and delight to land and maneuver.  The loading envelope is more legit too.

That's what Cody is looking at, I'd imagine. But since he IS a prop shop, I also understand his reluctance to give up a prop he can service himself for one that he will have to send off.

Looks great, @Cody. A few years back I debated moving up to a Missile, but couldn't make up my mind and act fast enough.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hank said:

That's what Cody is looking at, I'd imagine. But since he IS a prop shop, I also understand his reluctance to give up a prop he can service himself for one that he will have to send off.

Looks great, @Cody. A few years back I debated moving up to a Missile, but couldn't make up my mind and act fast enough.

Oooooooooh....  I hadn't realized that he IS a prop shop.  I get it now. And of course - it is right on his avatar picture.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, aviatoreb said:

Oooooooooh....  I hadn't realized that he IS a prop shop.  I get it now. And of course - it is right on his avatar picture.

He's the man for those of us who need prop work. Except for you and your MT buddies, apparently.  :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pair of good looking Rockets above.

Do any of you Rocket Owners have a Hartzell Propeller?

All the Rockets came with C505/C515 McCauley as they were TC’ed on the C340’s

Reason I ask, the Hartzell Swept props are Certified via STC on the RAM Converted C340/C414.

Maybe a Similarity Loophole in there one could take advantage of.

51 minutes ago, Cody Stallings said:

Pair of good looking Rockets above.

Do any of you Rocket Owners have a Hartzell Propeller?

All the Rockets came with C505/C515 McCauley as they were TC’ed on the C340’s

Reason I ask, the Hartzell Swept props are Certified via STC on the RAM Converted C340/C414.

Maybe a Similarity Loophole in there one could take advantage of.

I bet you could get a field approval on that.

On 9/11/2018 at 11:01 PM, LANCECASPER said:

It appears I was wrong Lance, guess this is a 28V Bird after all.

I was under the impression a single alt meant just 14V

CAB17EE9-6BFD-4055-98A4-1D41F9A97817.jpeg

• Like 1