Brittain install manual

sw1024

Hello—I’m looking for an installation manual or diagram for properly setting up the turn coordinator that is part of the Britain auto pilot in my 67 F.  The turn coordinator is the TC 100 EVS...paired with the Accutrak system.  See attached pics.

I’ve never been able to get the turn coordinator to function properly..or at all. Right now it’s just dead. Neither the vacuum or the electric seem to make it turn. My mechanic is asking if there’s any manuals or installation instructions for him to experiment with. I had the turn coordinator overhauled and it still doesn’t work.  Very frustrating.  Called Brittain but I’m not sure they’re even checking messages anymore.

Think this has come up before in other threads and I looked through the downloads section and there doesn’t seem to be anything applicable to my set up posted. Hoping someone out there has a manual or set up instructions they could share.

Thanks very much!

5338C219-342A-4FCA-B25D-99B7C00D0293.jpeg

88C6A971-2387-4407-A3D6-813223386DCD.jpeg

The turn coordinator doesn’t work. Gyro won’t spin. It was overhauled but when installed it won’t work with electric or vacuum. I have another one that we want to swap it out with but we’re not sure it was installed properly to begin with. 

The Accutrak works...it is supposed to track both a VOR heading or gps heading from a Garmin 430. But without a working turn coordinator it just goes into a strong bank and tries to kill me...lol. 

Hoping a working TC solves the issue. Just don’t know that the vacuum hoses are hooked up correctly so we’re looking for some documentation on proper set up. 

• Like 1

There are frequently Brittain TC100 turn coordinators for sale on various online sites.   There are docs you can download from this site on how to test the PC system.   If your Accutrak causes your airplane to bank when you switch it on, it seems that your aileron and rudder servos are intact and working.   You should be able to get it all fixed.    The vacuum hose connections can be tested on the ground.  If red and green are correctly connected, when you turn on the ground, the PC system will command a roll in the direction opposite the turn.

When you get it working, you will really like it.  Awesome technology designed in the Apollo era.

I just recently watched an Accutrak be put in my 67C and learned a bit in the process.   Still just a PP/SEL, not an A&P.  Good luck.

-Fred

50 minutes ago, TX-Champ said:

I'd also like to see the install or maintenance manual.  Can someone post it to the documents section?

Me, too! I'm sure I will need to dig into mine one year or another. Getting a copy now instead of waiting until I need it seems like a good idea.

I've added some additional documentation for Brittain products (wiring diagrams, maintenance manuals for Accu-Trak and Accu-Flite, AFMs, supplements) in the "Downloads" section here.  The very friendly Brittain staff were eager to provide me this library of information when I requested it to help troubleshoot the system in my new-to me plane last year.  My wing-leveler and Accu-Flite works great.  The constant rate turn knob on my Accu-Trak works but the nav tracking does not.  We haven't figured it out, but that is largely because other bigger issues have come up (e.g., complete fuel tank reseal).  I do miss the Brittain folks.  They were so friendly and helpful.

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2018 at 7:28 PM, sw1024 said:

The turn coordinator doesn’t work. Gyro won’t spin. It was overhauled but when installed it won’t work with electric or vacuum. I have another one that we want to swap it out with but we’re not sure it was installed properly to begin with. 

The Accutrak works...it is supposed to track both a VOR heading or gps heading from a Garmin 430. But without a working turn coordinator it just goes into a strong bank and tries to kill me...lol. 

Hoping a working TC solves the issue. Just don’t know that the vacuum hoses are hooked up correctly so we’re looking for some documentation on proper set up. 

So here is my question.  The TC-100 integrates the Electric Turn Co-ordinator with the P.C. Gyro that controls wings level flight.  The “Turn Coordinator is electric NOT gyro based.  The Wing leveler component in the TC-100 IS the gyro.  My P.C. System gyro is separate from my electric turn coordinator.  Is your P.C. System working at all?  Do you have the opposite turns of yoke to turn on ground with P.C. System on?  I have a back-up TC-100 for when my planes PC gyro fails and or if the electric Turn Coordinator fails.

My TC shows no movement at all. The electric flag does not show and it appears dead despite having it overhauled. I bought a spare and we’re going to try it. But I’m not sure it’s even hooked up properly. I just bought the plane recently and it died on the first flight.  No prior experience with the Brittain systems so I’m clueless.  

When I turn on the Accutrak, the plane goes into a strong turn with no direction based on the heading. So I have no idea.  The plane flies pretty straight in cruise but I’m not sure if the PC is working. Hoping to pull it soon and start experimenting. 

Make sure the PC works on the ground by making turns, yoke will turn in oppisite direction. If not look for vacuum leaks, don’t forget the yoke button, small hose and valve, Make sure the turn knob on the accutrack is centered in the detent or you will be sent into a standard rate turn in the direction of the knob, accutrack is for nav tracking VOR, GPS although it can be wired to heading output. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sw1024 said:

My TC shows no movement at all. The electric flag does not show and it appears dead despite having it overhauled. I bought a spare and we’re going to try it. But I’m not sure it’s even hooked up properly.

Have you put a volt meter on it to see if there is even power?  You'll feel silly when you have swapped several and then check power to find out it was never there.  Trust me.  It's happened more than I want to admit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bob865 said:

Have you put a volt meter on it to see if there is even power?  You'll feel silly when you have swapped several and then check power to find out it was never there.  Trust me.  It's happened more than I want to admit.

Yes, but...  The Brittain TC-100 is both vacuum and electric powered.  It is primarily vacuum driven with an electric backup I think.   If it isn't working, it is either broken or both the vacuum and electrics are somehow disconnected/severed.

-Fred

Thanks. There is power going to it but we think maybe the separate voltage input might not be sending. But vacuum is not making it work either. On my spare, when hooked up to just power, it spins. So we’ll see. Thanks to all. 

• 2 years later...

Here are all of the manuals I have from Brittain.  Hope they help--my TC was not working and was the problem at the time.  Had it overhauled and everything worked great--just recently died again--so hope you have better luck.

IM 2-1000-5 Rev. G.pdf IM 11980 Rev. -, Model LSA-4.pdf MM 3962, Accutrak B-11 Maintenance Manual.pdf MM 11990 Mooney PC Operation and Service Instructions.pdf

• Thanks 1

So if you just have a Brittain wing leveler would you just need to add the B11 and a servo control valve to get navigation/vor tracking?

Asking because this looks like my only option of an autopilot since nothing is happening for the M20A's with Garmin and probably Tru-trak :(

• 6 months later...
On 6/14/2021 at 4:25 PM, sw1024 said:

Here are all of the manuals I have from Brittain.  Hope they help--my TC was not working and was the problem at the time.  Had it overhauled and everything worked great--just recently died again--so hope you have better luck.

IM 2-1000-5 Rev. G.pdf 2.23 MB · 28 downloads IM 11980 Rev. -, Model LSA-4.pdf 689.65 kB · 19 downloads MM 3962, Accutrak B-11 Maintenance Manual.pdf 234.38 kB · 12 downloads MM 11990 Mooney PC Operation and Service Instructions.pdf 74.24 kB · 12 downloads

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 5:58 PM, FlyingDude said:

@sw1024thank you very much :)

Are you still having the issue with your TC100? Inside the control box, for the electric side of things, there is AGC fuse. Mine blew once after overhaul. Is fairly straight forward to replace. On the vacuum side of things, if you do not have the hose routing diagrams, I have them somewhere. Let me know what you need.