Garmin Software Upgrade: GTN, TXi, GFC (v6.50)

Bryan

45 minutes ago, woodz said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question--I'm new to airplane (and GTN) ownership. Is the only way to get a "software update" by going to an authorized dealer?  It's not possible via the SD card used for NAV updates? Thanks

That is correct.  The Software updates are only distributed by authorized dealers.

Maybe @TrekLawler has an opinion on the “features” associated with the new update? I tried to print out an ADS-B compliance report after the software upgrade and it shows the air mode was ok but didn’t comment on the ground. Seems like it would be good to have a summary of the changes. My G500 software had to be updated as well but I have no idea what the new software adds.

Each software upgrade is described in a supplement to the POH.  

For example the GTN750 upgrade 6.50 is described in 6.50 Upgrade POH Supplement which is a 90 page document.   It’s worth reviewing at least the 5 page change summary at the front.   

The “Ground Mode” under discussion in this thread is not a part of 6.50.   It is in the software upgrade to the GTX33ES revision 8.04, commonly done in parallel to upgrading the GTN750.  The remote transponder is configured via the GTN750 screen.   

Release notes for 8.04 do mention changes to ground mode operation.  See  Garmin 8.04  for a brief list, including this: 

Software version 8.04 incorporates the following updates:

• Addressed air/ground determination issues and added the ability to configure the aircraft stall speed.
  • Like 1