M20

Robert c

Thanks for all the insite i have built two pitts wings and a skybolt wing plus i restored a 1946 cessna 140 just love bringing back the old planes always wanted a mooney. No money but i do have time to play in the garage. Spending a little at a time is easier then all at once. The 140 is mine the rest have been sold

IMG_20180907_185612_01.jpg

tapatalk_1481140558502.jpeg

tapatalk_1481141191595.jpeg

tapatalk_1481141215182.jpeg

• Like 2

My goodness you have mad skills!  Like I said, you can find a derelict Mooney that will make a much better project.  Any derelict is likely to take more to resurrect than its worth, but you should at least find a project where its all there.  Lots of them about too, the teens have not been kind to many Mooneys.

Wood...

Nature’s composite material.

A fantastic combination of fibers and resin.

Strong and formable.

Robert, if you have the construction skills, a wooden M20 may be looking for you.

The drawback to be aware of was the wooden tail strength.  Most have been updated to aluminum tail feathers after a really old AD.

Original M20s came with 150hp and fixed pitch props.  The modern version may have an O360 with 180hp...

It would be really great if that comes complete with all the logs...

Somebody has posted pictures around here showing the glorious woodwork that the wings are...

Best regards,

-a-

Robert, I greatly admire your skills. I think if anybody could restore this Mooney, you’re likely the guy. I also think that you’ve asked for a consultation  from a group of folks who have nowhere near your experience in resurrecting and/or building wooden aircraft.  This project would be a no go for most. Judging from the pictures you posted, you are not most.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robert c said:

Thay say that it is all there. Thay cut the wings off because the wife woodent stop flying it after thay found bad spots in the spars under the body of the plane

That’s a scary thought!  If you want a project, there was one in Quebec that landed short.  It was listed on here recently.

Clarence

Ignorant questions:

Is putting a metal wing on a plane originally designed/built with a wood wing going to cause 'certification issues?'  Are the wood wing and donor metal wing Mooneys under the same type certificate?  Going to need a DER?

Mike, those are good questions...

Mechanics usually know where to get specific answers.  

A lot of standard things can be exchanged using proper documents to support the work.  There are a few Mooneys flying around here that have mismatched wings/fuselages...

The M20A, B, and C are very similar... as they were built only a handful of years apart...

The wing of 65C might be better than some of the others... flush rivets and updated 52 gal. fuel tanks with flush fuel caps...

Rudder parts for increased rudder deflection also improved with the C...

For the price of a 65C’s wing, you can probably buy it with a fuselage already mounted to it.... may be somewhat defeating the OP’s project ideas...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

A M20B model wing would work. I don't think a C would.  I think you would be better off finding a wood wing from a project.  They are out there for little money.  I'm biased but a pristine wood wing is a much better wing for a short body in all aspects.  People spend thousands of dollars on speed mods and you can spend thousands less for the best speed mod(a wood wing).  Plus you get aluminum fuel tanks.  You never have to worry about resealing a wet tank. 

• Like 2

At your first post I suspected you might be a novice looking for a cheap plane.  

Given your experience I (we) are happy you’re considered a rebuild of a wood wing Mooney.  

I’d be happy to fly one if I or someone I trust had recently rebuilt the wings.  

I suspect the Mooney wing, tapered so each rib is unique, will be a challenge.   At least you have the original wings to use as dimensional guides or jigs.  

Best luck.   

Looks like i am back to looking for a mooney she wont come down on there price. Eneyone know of a mooney sitting in a hanger waiting for someone like me to take it home????

M20Doc talked about a plane he knows about.

Also check with Alan Fox on this site. He is our Sanford & Son who does a fair amount of stripping down of non-flying planes. He might know of a Mooney looking for a home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro