M20

Robert c

Hi i am new to your forum. I am looking at getting a 1957 m20 that is all disassembled into pices the wood wings where cut just outside of the landing gear. All the electronics are pry 1960 ish with ifr and need to be replased. What is the value of this plane. I am looking for a good project to restore in my hanger. Pleae comment on what you think.

Thank you

Robert chubb

4 minutes ago, Robert c said:

If will nees new wings thin that i found some aluminum wing for sale in good shape. Just dont know what to offer the owner thay think that $10,000.is what it is worth trying to tell tham that its not

For me they would have to pay me to move it.  The value is what would the engine be worth minus the cost of the dumpster to put the rest of the plane in.   The basic assumption are that the engine and prop are core value and will need to be rebuilt.  It all depends on how much you want to own a wood wing "A".  The value of the engine and prop are a few thousand at most if they have log books (without almost nothing).

IMHO 

Jerry is correct, your buying the data plate and that’s not worth much for an old wood wing(I wouldn’t give any money for it) . If your wanting a project go for it. If you want something that you will fly in the next few years add another 15K and buy a solid corrosion free but ugly well flying metal mooney that needs paint, interior,  with basic radios. You will save money and time!!!

There are two wood wing Mooney projects around here...

One recently had its wheels come through the wing...

Do some searching you will probably find them.

When it comes to value... it won’t be measured in dollars.

As for price of an aluminum wing... 10Amu must be the standard price.  Trying to buy one to fit an M20A probably goes way past economic sense...

welcome aboard,  Robert.

The good news.... you already have an aluminum tail update!

Are you a mechanic? Or a carpenter?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

Cutting that wing makes me sad . . . . It will need to be completely rebuilt, starting with a new spar. You may be able to salvage and reuse some ribs and some of the outer covering. The fuse and engine mount may be in good shape, along with the gear and tail. Flaps and ailerons will need close checking, certainly the control rods for them were also cut. 

I've heard of used metal wings selling in the $8-10K range, but I have no idea what paperwork would be required to put a metal wing on an A model.

If you do buy this plane, send me a chunk of wing spar and I will make you a Mooney Remembrance item . . . . .

I would not touch it. You will have so much more into it than it is worth and never get a fraction of it out on sale. Remember that you also have old obsolete avionics and electronics that will have to be replaced.  If you want a project, find a nice homebuilt. That will be much more practical and rewarding in the end. Unfortunately, the airplane you are looking at is a "parts" airplane at best.

Are the outboard wings still available? 

It would be neat to see if some one like Steve Wolf or any other wood builder could rebuild the wings per drawings and old dimensions. If that were the case, it would probably cost at least 30-40k for some one to rebuild the wing from scratch. The rest of the project looks unmolested. That engine case is ancient. I’ve only seen one Like that and it was on the first E model that Alan cut up. 

It’s not like it’s a spitfire project or anything. However, to some it’s not about the money. Anything is possible, but it might cost more than  a nice J by the time you are finished. 

I keep thinking of how neat it must have been to be at the Mooney factory between 1955 and 1965! I can’t imagine having a new wood wing Mooney in 1959, or my 65e brand new back in 1965!

I bet the wood wing airplane fly nice. Wood wing Decathlon’s sure have more soul to them than the metal wing airframes.

-Matt

• Like 2