Florence evacuation

Oldguy

Just throwing this out there for folks who may want to bug out before Florence shows up on their doorstep. KPLR is about 2 Mooney hours away from Charleston to the west (287 heading), and we have plenty of space to house folks and their planes. Avionics shop and Mooney mechanic on site along with $4.30 AVGAS. Last year we had a flight school out of Florida come up, so we are quite open to visitors.

Just wanted to offer before it got too hairy over there.

• Like 8

This weekend was supposed to move the airplane down to Wilmington - that's not happening.  Fortunately I've still got the lease on the hangar at TTA Sanford until the end of the month.  The latest forecast is still showing Category 1 winds at Fayetteville and 75 MPH winds at Ashboro.  The hangars are rated to 110 mph...  so it's there is still a risk of wind damage.  I'm going to head to the airport tomorrow to make sure no debris around the hangar / things are cleaned up / plane is chocked / secured / fueled. 

Stuff is stuff - - - it's all insured. 

House prep is a lot more work.  We got important docs out of there, baby milk in the freezer transported upstate, all the outdoor stuff put away, stuff up off the floor in flood risk parts of the house, repaired a fence.  Still have more work to do - will likely turn power off to areas that might see water, might try to board a window or two that is directly exposed.  Neighbors have tall pines that are looking more ominous every day.      

Work is supposed to go on lock-down starting Wed.  I was scheduled to be at work Friday, but it may be Saturday/Sun before the shelter in place is lifted and travel is possible from where the rest of my family will be (Chapel Hill) to where I'm supposed to go (Wilmington).   I was told I'd be part of relief crew rather than hunkering down during the storm. 

7 hours ago, steingar said:

Good luck to those in the path of that thing.  Looks nasty.  Stuff is just stuff, you're what's important.

Hope everyone's preparations are going well. BTDT, got the tshirt, hoping for no more over thisaway.

You can always bring a planeload of stuff to Alabama for a few days. My field has tie downs, no service and no fuel, but you're welcome anyway . . . . .  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Insurance will typically cover the cost of moving/relocating the plane including return commercial flights. Hopefully you get your airplanes moved. I wish I could help but won't be available until Friday and it might be too late by then.

last year during Irma, I was faced with the choice of "which" Mooney to move out of the path. A quick review of each insurance policy made the decision. CarolAnn Garratts historic 201 was re positioned to Memphis (Irma chased me there). Of the 3 planes, hers' was the only one that had hurricane relocation coverage, and then limit to $500 and the county must be declared a hurricane watch prior to moving. Fortunately, the other 2 planes fared well and Irma just busted up some telephone poles across the street from me.

I know of an empty hangar at KOSU if someone need s shelter.  Isn't mine, but it belongs to a good friend.  Heck, here you can tie down outside this time of year, we're not getting any hail.  Where I live kinda sucks.  Not ocean, no mountains, nothing pretty.  But no earthquakes and no hurricanes, so I can't complain too much.

We do ge thee occasional tornado, but around here they're quite rare.  You can be insured for them too, more than I can say for a hurricane.

Again, good luck to all.  Get out of there if you can, this sucker is monstrous.  Ma nature isn't playing around this time.

What do your insurance policies state for evacuation from storms like the Hurricane bearing down on the east coast?

I'll go read mine tonight.  If I recall it's some sort of capped dollar amount you can submit for reimbursement if you move your airplane for fuel/hanger, etc.  Usually you have to move a certain number of miles.

I'd offer up my airport, but it's going to get pounded by rain as part of the remnants of the storm.

Stay dry and safe out there!

-Seth

Edited by Seth

Northwest Georgia, KDNN, Not sure about hangar space but tie-downs for sure. And a Mooney service center. Plenty of bedrooms at my house too. tarmour at Catt.com for contact

You may want to look at the latest track projections. Looks like it is headed into Georgia!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rain/flooding is the big concern over most of the impacted area.  See 7-day NOAA rainfall forecast for Florence here.    If I had an aircraft parked at an airport near a river that can flood the airfield, I'd move it out of the affected area.  Note that they are saying that most of N.C. and northeast S.C. is going to receive from between 6 to 10" of rain.  Rainfall totals near the coast will exceed 20".

Hanger OFFER :  Hurricane Florence has changed predicted paths and will not swing up to DC until mid next week (just rain).  My Mooney is at my MSC and inside their hanger for the next week finishing up the annual. 

Thus, my hanger is available at KGAI if anyone would like to relocate to a hanger before the storm hits the Carolinas.

First come first serve. PM me.

-Seth  

Edited by Seth