Landing Lights?

Rookie

Is there any scientific way of adjusting our landing lights (while the plane is on the ground) so the runway is in sight after round out and Flair? Yes I still have old halogen light but if  a LED is not pointed at the correct angle it's no better. 

I do plan on getting a LED at annual but I'd like to repair this asap.

Thanks,

Many light installations have 3 aiming screws on the back side in the engine cowls.  Open your cowl flaps, disconnect the quick coupler to allow the flap to open even wider.  You should see the screws.

Line the plane up on a taxiway in the dark and adjust till you’re happy.

Clarence 

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, Rookie said:

Is there any scientific way of adjusting our landing lights (while the plane is on the ground) so the runway is in sight after round out and Flair? Yes I still have old halogen light but if  a LED is not pointed at the correct angle it's no better. 

I do plan on getting a LED at annual but I'd like to repair this asap.

Thanks,

If you have a J, the three aiming screws are accessible without taking off the cowl.  Disconnect the right cowl flap, and reach up with a stubby phillips screwdriver to adjust the 3 aiming screws on the landing light ring.  It makes sense, though to look at the hardware when you have the cowl off first so you know what you're going for!

A reasonable strategy if you have a hangar opposite you and the ground is level is to do it at night or dusk, and just adjust it based on the opposite hangar door.  Mark off where your tires are.  Even a halogen lamp should only run 6 amps, so you should have plenty of battery and time to adjust it.  Then take a picture of the opposite hangar door (probably more acceptable than marking on your neighbor's hangar door) and go fly.  Based on what you see, you'll know what direction to adjust the beam once you put the tires back in the same place and review the photo.

Edit: Oooh, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if the adjustment screws need a phillips or flat screwdriver...

• Like 1