Interior Refurb - Gear Down Window clean/replace

Nippernaper

Purchased a '78 J a couple of weeks ago (after a long search), and among the other upgrades, it badly needed a new interior.  I went the airtex route, and am in the process of removing the old, nasty, carpet.  The gear down indicator in the floor was very hard to read the first few times I flew, and now I know why (see photo).  It's actually much worse than the picture shows; scratched and cloudy.  Any ideas on how to clean the plastic window?  Should I think about replacing it?  Is that something an owner can do?  Also, only a small window was cut in the old carpet, just for the plastic window, and it was glued around the rest of the black plastic fairing that also houses the fuel selector.  Any opinions on whether I should place the new carpet similarly, or cut out for the whole fairing (after cleaning that as well). 

Tom

IMG_1867.JPG

That is a topic that has been covered before...

Not sure what words in the search would be good to find it though...

Looks like the screws in the picture may give access to it.  May require access from below to get the screws back in... based on tinnermans falling away...?

It is probably just a small plexiglass window, owner supplied part?

if you don’t find anything or hear from somebody... Ask Dan at Lasar.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

Purchased a '78 J a couple of weeks ago (after a long search), and among the other upgrades, it badly needed a new interior.  I went the airtex route, and am in the process of removing the old, nasty, carpet.  The gear down indicator in the floor was very hard to read the first few times I flew, and now I know why (see photo).  It's actually much worse than the picture shows; scratched and cloudy.  Any ideas on how to clean the plastic window?  Should I think about replacing it?  Is that something an owner can do?  Also, only a small window was cut in the old carpet, just for the plastic window, and it was glued around the rest of the black plastic fairing that also houses the fuel selector.  Any opinions on whether I should place the new carpet similarly, or cut out for the whole fairing (after cleaning that as well). 
Tom
IMG_1867.thumb.JPG.27ed578d2366a1c567e048b6c061af33.JPG

I made one and watched an IA yawn when I asked about replacing it. Lowe’s carry the right thickness plexi and will cut it.

77fc5243ac990c8a6b8c19631634bfdd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1) Looks like nipper’s alignment isn’t quite aligned... may need a window adjustment, or a pointer adjustment, or the gear isn’t quite down?

2) Looks like Marauder’s window is missing an alignment line...

3) I don’t remember if I have an alignment line...

Green on the floor, light on the panel... (close enough)

4) there sure are a lot of rivets holding the seat rails!

Best regards,

-a-

The little screws on the side take the cover off.   The big screw on the bottom remove the cover for the sliding indicator.   The sliding indicator is plastic riveted to and alum angle bracket that rides on one of the gear control rods.

A bit of green vinyl and and exacto knife will get you a brand new indicator. Some black paint.

20160810_075927.thumb.jpg.538fe148d1931901bb0daf97f62ca0a4.jpg

gearIfix.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nippernaper said:

Thanks Yetti, that was exactly what I needed to know! I pulled the cover last night and gave everything a good cleaning. Will wait to see how it looks in the daylight before heading to the aviation isle at HD for some plexi. MS is awesome!

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go by the HVAC section and get you a roll of alum tape.   All the duct tape needs to go away.  as it degrades it can hold water.  Water and alum is bad.

Go by the HVAC section and get you a roll of alum tape.   All the duct tape needs to go away.  as it degrades it can hold water.  Water and alum is bad.

I was wondering why there were a bunch of small lengths of duct tape over little holes in the floor pan under the carpet. Will pull them up and replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk