NEW LYCOMING REBUILT ENGINE PROJECT

larrynimmo

I bought a 1981 M20J back in June, 2017....plane and engine had 1530 hours on it, and the engine was making metal....so I purchased knowing that I would be spending a lot of money within a limited amount of time.  I got my license in December and aggressively flew the plane and my mechanic in june recommended that I replace my engine before it failed...so I ordered a factory rebuilt engine with zero hours....order through Air power out of Texas for $38,500 plus core return... I continued to fly the plane until August 10  (1,665 tach hours) and then removed the engine ahead of arrival from Lycoming...took McCauley constant speed prop out and had it overhauled $2,495...Prop governor was too old to get parts, so I got a new one...$1,750....sent the oil cooler out to get cleaned a recertified....$250....installed new engine monitoring system (JPI830) $2,250...custom hoses $1,300....Mooney OEM exhaust rubber straps (including shipping) $160. New Lord mounts @170 each....removed and repainted the engine sub-frame with epoxy paint....new starter $470

In this process I helped the A&P mechanic with the change out and it was a great experience and glad I participated and think that my role will make the engine compartment less prone to rub-throughs as I made sure there were no rub points that could lead to failure.

I think next time around I am going to look for a cheaper hobby....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

I bought a 1981 M20J back in June, 2017....plane and engine had 1530 hours on it, and the engine was making metal....so I purchased knowing that I would be spending a lot of money within a limited amount of time.  I got my license in December and aggressively flew the plane and my mechanic in june recommended that I replace my engine before it failed...so I ordered a factory rebuilt engine with zero hours....order through Air power out of Texas for $38,500 plus core return... I continued to fly the plane until August 10  (1,665 tach hours) and then removed the engine ahead of arrival from Lycoming...took McCauley constant speed prop out and had it overhauled $2,495...Prop governor was too old to get parts, so I got a new one...$1,750....sent the oil cooler out to get cleaned a recertified....$250....installed new engine monitoring system (JPI830) $2,250...custom hoses $1,300....Mooney OEM exhaust rubber straps (including shipping) $160. New Lord mounts @170 each....removed and repainted the engine sub-frame with epoxy paint....new starter $470

In this process I helped the A&P mechanic with the change out and it was a great experience and glad I participated and think that my role will make the engine compartment less prone to rub-throughs as I made sure there were no rub points that could lead to failure.

I think next time around I am going to look for a cheaper hobby....

Does a Factory Rebuilt engine not come with a new starter?

My story is quite as price-intensive... as of yet! I bout my 1982 M20K from the US Marshals Service after it was seized. No logs, so got into it cheap. Had the prop overhauled, mags inspected, installed the "stolen" avionics to include a G530W, a G330 transponder, and a G340 audio panel. That and a VERY thorough annual to get her back in flying shape. Then, I have seen countless hours buffing the paint, scrubbing the interior, repairing some interior plastics, etc... But I was looking for a 'forever' plane, and had already figured out that this is an expensive hobby! My only achilles heel at this point: not knowing the engine time. Fortunately the compressions are great, its not making any metal, and it is running strong. 

All that to say, now that I have spent the money, I am still findings things that I could/would like to spend more on!!!

1 hour ago, CharlesHuddleston said:

My story is quite as price-intensive... as of yet! I bout my 1982 M20K from the US Marshals Service after it was seized. No logs, so got into it cheap. Had the prop overhauled, mags inspected, installed the "stolen" avionics to include a G530W, a G330 transponder, and a G340 audio panel. That and a VERY thorough annual to get her back in flying shape. Then, I have seen countless hours buffing the paint, scrubbing the interior, repairing some interior plastics, etc... But I was looking for a 'forever' plane, and had already figured out that this is an expensive hobby! My only achilles heel at this point: not knowing the engine time. Fortunately the compressions are great, its not making any metal, and it is running strong. 

All that to say, now that I have spent the money, I am still findings things that I could/would like to spend more on!!!

Don't worry about the engine time. Frequent oil changes, oil analysis and filter inspection. As long as all that is good, keep flying.

• Like 1