Avionics panel upgrade

Clparker23

I have a budget of 20 amu to work with, I’m looking to upgrade the stuff I use the most.  I have flown 98% of the time outside of adsb space.  I have a panel made and powder coated, I bought a few Clinton breakers but need to purchase the remainder.  I’ve decided to keep my transponder and go with the uavionix adsb option later.  I have purchased a ei cgr30c cluster gauge replacement and it needs to be installed.  I have a quote for panel and cgr install for $4200.  What I’m looking at is the following:

pse pma 8000bt - $4105 installed

garmin gnc 255a - $5495 installed

aspen e5 - $7895 installed

Let me know what your opinions are on what I’m thinking about purchasing, those 3 items are yet to be bought.  If anyone has looked into the e5, does it cost $4000 to install?  Thanks in advance.

Clayton

D95E363D-EF8A-4300-8E1F-6FEA30C12009.jpeg

2263192B-1213-462A-BC5C-BA7ED63FA29F.jpeg

With the budget you are working with . . .

So that you have a vor/ils I would keep the KX-170 with the glideslope and hook it up to the Aspen. It is almost impossible to kill the KX170 radios. I would take the money from the 8000BT audio panel and the gnc255A nav/com and get a http://www.ps-engineering.com/PAR200.shtml. I am going to guess that you could have this installed for roughly what you are spending the the GNC255A, $5500.

Next, I would figure out a way to get a waas gps into the budget. That could even be a used GNS400W (gps only, no nav or com - these things are a cheap, $3500-$4000, waas source). I bet you could shop around, find a good used one and get it installed for $7000-$7500.

Yes it does cost about $4000 labor to install an  Aspen, so the $7895 installed is a great price.

Now to go beyond what you are talking about . . .

The Uavionix might be great if two things hold true, you already have a good solid state transponder and the Garmin lawsuit with them doesn't hold up the delivery of their product. All that being said I would figure out a way to get a recent transponder figured in to a little higher budget. What you have, the Collins transponder is on borrowed time, it has a cavity tube that goes out. A GTX335 or 345 would be my choice. Do it once, do it right and be done with it. $4500-$6000. You could put in a used Garmin GTX 330ES for a little less, but I think you would kick yourself longterm for not spending the difference for a GTX345.

I don’t think the 30c engine monitor has MP so you will need to keep that going. I would also do whatever it takes to put a Garmin gns and later GPS in the panel. The install for the audio panel sounds a little high but I have and really like my 8000bt. 

The beauty of the aspen is really unlocked with a gps and to a lesser extent an AP. I would hold off until those units are installed/working properly. 

If you go with PS-engineering PMA7000B(T), install will be much cheaper since one connector it matches KNA24 you already have. You would need to add another harness to it that is part of intercom feature.

I would not go with aspen without WAAS GPS/Navcom and would budget for that first. CGR30P can replace all the engine instruments (including MP) except Fuel level - you can go with Aerospace logics.

Garmin GBC255: for few dollars more (well, thousands really) you could have used 430 installed which is much better deal and possible source to ADS-B transponder...

• 5 months later...

I wanted to update my thread, here is the latest in my several month long project. here’s before/after pics. If your interested in during pics, which are not for the faint of heart, I can provide as well.

Project consisted of installation of:
EI cgr 30 c
Garmin GMA 345 audio panel
Garmin GTR 225 radio
EI usb hub
McFarland mix control
Hendricks avionics panel

755b42e5f14576653018786ddf3030cf.jpg5686ba40bdbb306a00948f518e942146.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I wanted to update my thread, here is the latest in my several month long project. here’s before/after pics. If your interested in during pics, which are not for the faint of heart, I can provide as well.

Project consisted of installation of:
EI cgr 30 c
Garmin GMA 345 audio panel
Garmin GTR 225 radio
EI usb hub
McFarland mix control
Hendricks avionics panel

Why just the mixture? And not the throttle and prop?

Tom

Everything was assisted owner install, so I did really good on budget. And I learned a lot about the plane. Other than the hardware costs, the cgr 30c required the most odds and ends. But did not add up to much.

Only reason It came to owner assisted was where I had the plane lined up to have it all installed, once the mechanic took a look at it, he said he wasn’t doing the panel. Which killed the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1