Palo Alto Crash 9/4/2018

donkaye

Without judging I'd like to share a couple of observations and make a comment:

1. Pilot owned aircraft since April of this year.  No known Mooney checkout.

2. Palo Alto has a short runway.  (2443 feet)

3. I've attached a rough but I believe reasonably close to accurate Weight and Balance after finding out both passengers were in the back seat.

4. Appears to have stalled on go around after a too fast approach.

Recommendation to all in unusual loading situations:  Do a Weight and Balance and adjust if necessary to the result.

Weight and Balance M20J Palo Alto Crash.png

• Like 1

I nearly got myself in trouble once early on with the Mooney when I went into an airport solo and picked up two adults (400+ lbs) who both wanted to ride in the back.  I calculated that I was within weight and balance, but forgot to retrim before takeoff.  I had a surprisingly early takeoff at low speed and it took everything I had to push the nose down until I could get trimmed up right.  I know that doesn't exactly apply to this situation, but very important to retrim if CG changes.