Sheepskin opinions

MIm20c

11 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

My C is getting a interior makeover headliner down to the carpet.  I’m thinking about using sheepskin covers on the front seats or sewing the material to the seating surface. 

Opinions on the sheepskin?  Fit and finish of the covers?  Thanks. 

And I am in the process of ordering a set. The airlines all have them and I suspect either they clean them on a regular basis or replace them. The ones I have flown with do a good job of insulating from heat and cold. I am starting to see a little bit of wear on the leather, so I am interested in protecting them. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Yetti said:

There is a fair amount of sliding on the seats to get my Yetti frame all the way over there.   I would think nappy Yetti hair and sheepskin would not slide well....

Only one way to find out for sure:

Procure a representative cow and a sheep. First pick up the sheep, turn the animal clockwise around the longitudinal axis such that the legs are oriented 90 deg from normal,  and parallel with the floor. Disregard any sudden increase in vocalization from the specimen; this is normal. Slide the sheep across a uniform durface (ideally glued down denim cloth) using a nice, smooth  bowling stroke. Measure the distance. Repeat with the bovine using a similar bowling stroke. Compare distances.  Should be no problem for a Yetti. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Only one way to find out for sure:

Procure a representative cow and a sheep. First pick up the sheep, turn the animal clockwise around the longitudinal axis such that the legs are oriented 90 deg from normal,  and parallel with the floor. Disregard any sudden increase in vocalization from the specimen; this is normal. Slide the sheep across a uniform durface (ideally glued down denim cloth) using a nice, smooth  bowling stroke. Measure the distance. Repeat with the bovine using a similar bowling stroke. Compare distances.  Should be no problem for a Yetti. :D

I suggest something simpler -- shave the Yetti.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

+1 for these.

I have these hiding the terrible condition of my front seats' upholstery.  I like the fit and finish of the covers.  They are pricey, as they are approved and certified materials as they come, no user effort required.  I believe they are made in USA or at least sewed up here, based on the packaging and documentation.   They installed well and stay in location on the seat as they should for 4 or 5 years, now.  I find sliding across is a non-issue.  No smell issues, either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I suggest something simpler -- shave the Yetti.

Simple elegant solution.  I like it. That said, I would have to counter simply putting Levi's on the Yetti (if we can find a large enough pair ) while the Yetti is in the plane... then we are dealing with  denim on wool vs leather friction... That would, of course, required the testing I suggested above. The Yetti can go sans pants per normal once on the ground. I'm just imagining walking behind a shaved Yetti... much less in front of one....

(_!_)  :o  (xXx)

.... just think of the children. 

1225646410_ScreenShot2018-09-07at6_53_03PM.png.c569aef1bbf7af681ce87c8239552424.png

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 2:06 PM, Marauder said:

And I am in the process of ordering a set. The airlines all have them and I suspect either they clean them on a regular basis or replace them. The ones I have flown with do a good job of insulating from heat and cold. I am starting to see a little bit of wear on the leather, so I am interested in protecting them. 

Any updates?  Fast shipping, good fit, comfortable?  Thinking about placing an order this weekend. 

• Like 1

Any updates?  Fast shipping, good fit, comfortable?  Thinking about placing an order this weekend. 

They have gone dark on me. I sent in the required info they requested and I went on a business trip. Haven't heard from them Ina couple of weeks. I'll send them a follow up email.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On 9/7/2018 at 2:01 PM, MIm20c said:

Interesting, I’ve noticed its use in high end aircraft where it is sewn in (pc12’s etc). I use one on my MC if doing 1k+ mile weekends but that one gets washed every so often because of the road grime. 

I suspect your C is not climate controlled in the same way as a PC12.  Michigan Summers are likely not as hot as my neck of the woods, but still pretty dam hot.  I would not put permanent sheepskins in my plane.  

2 hours ago, Mike Ropers said:

I didn't want to go the full monty so I opted for just the bottom seat.  The fit is great and adds to the comfort - and yes they are really sheep skin. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQ13AG2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

Interesting. I’m ready to pull the trigger on these  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BK2DL33/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_EM8OBbG23CJ8C

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried them?

3 hours ago, Mike Ropers said:

I didn't want to go the full monty so I opted for just the bottom seat.  The fit is great and adds to the comfort - and yes they are really sheep skin. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQ13AG2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://fabulousfurs.com/russian-style-hat-grey-wolf/p/90930-GRYWOLF

1 hour ago, steingar said:

screams that you're a cheapskate, which is an entirely different thing than a cheap bastard.

Oh no, the cheap bastards might look down on me.  I’m running to my phone to cancel my order!

It’s all about priorities, interior is/was at the bottom of my list. 

• Like 1

I feel kind of bad now, I had looked at a Mooney owned by a very kind gentleman, but when my wife and I looked at the pictures, both of us were aghast at the faux wood trim on the instrument panel.  When I talked to the owner the first time, I unwisely joked that if I bought the plane, that would probably be the first thing that would need to go.

The owner paused for a moment, and said that he had put it in himself and was very proud of the faux wood trim. :blink:  If he is on MS, I officially apologize now...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1