Tennessee airports???

N252WD

I bought a place up in Newport, Tn and wondering if anybody has any comments on local airports there. There are 3 that are 30-40 min drive from there. Morristown, Gatlinburg, and Greeneville. All look like ok airports but like to know if anybody has experience them or out of there. Looking for a hanger at the airport too. I have flown out of McGhee Tyson every time, but this next trip will be going out to a  new airport. After talking with a lot of locals (non-aviation) they tell me probably Greeneville would be my best bet, but wanted to know if y'all had any comments. Thanks in advance. 

I have flow into all of those airports.  I agree with @Mooneymite that KDKX Downtown Island is a great stop and I've been there many times and its one of my favorites.  Might be worthwhile to look at fuel prices among those airports too.  I used to go to Greeneville for a week at a time and they took good care of my plane and my car.

Thanks for the info, this will be home for me about half the year so have to have a hanger. Far as fuel all of them are high. I had planned on going to 3A2 Tazewell, they have the cheapest fuel. Agreed Gatlinburg is nice but the traffic.... Downtown DKX will be little to far. MOR and GCY seem to be more practicable.

KMOR has a great runway with little traffic, high fuel cost.   Decent deadstick departure options  

KGKT has aweful roadway traffic, bumpy runway, lots of hangars, but not sure if any are vacant. Very little options on engine failure.

KGCY has a good runway, but often rough tumbling air at pattern altitude and below due to the ridge lines.  It can get exciting in cross wind conditions.   I’ve seen several other Mooney’s based there. Seems like they had plenty of hangars there, there are parachute operations going on there most days and they drop right into the field.

KDKX is fogged in often due to the river.  No precision approach.  If engine quits on departure, you’ll likely be in the river.  FBO can be nazis. The only mx shop on the field is very expensive.   

3A2, no options if engine quits.  

Cheapest fuel in the area is KMNV, which will be serving breakfast tomorrow morning and they usually have lunch when stopping by for fuel around noon most days.

Sounds like KMOR might be best for you and just plan your fuels stops.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 5:46 PM, Hank said:

Gatlinburg airport is nice, but the traffic on the roads . . . . . . .

I'm planning a quick family trip to see the Tennessee Museum of Aviation, Sevierville in Gatlinburg. Does anyone know if it's worth the flight and time (about 1hr from my location)? Is there a place to lunch?

7 minutes ago, FastTex said:

I'm planning a quick family trip to see the Tennessee Museum of Aviation, Sevierville, TN museum in Gatlinburg. Does anyone know if it's worth the flight and time (about 1hr from my location)? Is there a place to lunch?

It's a nice museum (or was during the MooneySpace flyin c.2010?). I flew further than you will. No idea about on field food, we ordered pizza. Be aware there's a low perpendicular ridgeline on short final if you're landing with the FBO on the right; it's not a problem, but it was a surprise.

I wouldn't base at Gatlingurg, too big a tourist draw, I imagine its expensive, though if I'm wrong gI'd love to hear about it.  I spend an uneventful day at the Knoxville downtown airport waiting for T-storms to clear.  Nice place.  Morristown is probably OK, though I keep seeing very questionable aircraft coming out of there.  that is the home of the submarine Mooney.

On 9/17/2018 at 5:59 AM, FastTex said:

I'm planning a quick family trip to see the Tennessee Museum of Aviation, Sevierville in Gatlinburg. Does anyone know if it's worth the flight and time (about 1hr from my location)? Is there a place to lunch?

Yea it’s worth a look-see.   There is a wooden mooney in there.  (A).   If you go down the hill from the FBO, walk west (left) on the main road and on the north side of the road, there is an Italian place.   It’s good.  There are other options down the road. 

4 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

Yea it’s worth a look-see.   There is a wooden mooney in there.  (A).   If you go down the hill from the FBO, walk west (left) on the main road and on the north side of the road, there is an Italian place.   It’s good.  There are other options down the road. 

Great. Thanks! I might go on Saturday. The FBO might have a courtesy car...I will ring them.

On 9/17/2018 at 8:22 AM, steingar said:

I imagine its expensive, though if I'm wrong gI'd love to hear about it.  

What are you suggesting is expensive? Airport fees? I've flown there several times for various reasons and never been charged a fee of any kind. I've never stayed overnight though. If you're going for tourist reasons, it's still pretty far from the actually touristy stuff (ie. Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge).

1 hour ago, AaronDC8402 said:

What are you suggesting is expensive? Airport fees? I've flown there several times for various reasons and never been charged a fee of any kind. I've never stayed overnight though. If you're going for tourist reasons, it's still pretty far from the actually touristy stuff (ie. Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge).

As I said, I'm happy to know if I'm wrong.  I flew in once and recall it being expensive, but can't put my finger on any specifics.  But yes, if flying in to do something you'll need to rent car.  Good news is rentals are available there.

Being a tourist center with a big draw I would suspect things like hangars, gas and services to be at a premium, especially since the airport seemed like a big time operation.  Again, I would happily learn to be mistaken.

On 9/21/2018 at 1:13 PM, steingar said:

especially since the airport seemed like a big time operation. 

Are you talking about GKT (Sevierville)? That sounds more like TYS (McGhee-Tyson). Fuel costs at GKT are what I would consider average for the southeast. It's currently $5/gal. Not the cheapest, but also far from what I would consider gouging. I know there are much smaller airports, but GKT isn't what I would consider a big time operation.

13 hours ago, AaronDC8402 said:

Are you talking about GKT (Sevierville)? That sounds more like TYS (McGhee-Tyson). Fuel costs at GKT are what I would consider average for the southeast. It's currently $5/gal. Not the cheapest, but also far from what I would consider gouging. I know there are much smaller airports, but GKT isn't what I would consider a big time operation.

To be honest, its been a few years so I couldn't tell you the identifier.  What I remember most was there was a car rental right on field, a very unusual thing for a GA airport.  I recall al to of airplanes around.  Struck me as big time, which usually translates as expensive.  Again, lots of this is supposition on my part, and I'd be glad to find out I'm mistaken.