AOPA FLY-IN KJKA Gulf Shores

MATTS875

I'll be attending the Santa Fe AOPA Fly-in.  Arriving on Thursday at 12pm.  I attended the last one in Missoula, and that was lots of fun, until a deer ran out in front of the truck and ruined the front end.  I've never seen so many deer in my life up in Montana.  Beautiful country though and the Smoke Jumpers tour was amazing back at the airport.  

11 hours ago, Mooney_Allegro said:

I'll be attending the Santa Fe AOPA Fly-in.  Arriving on Thursday at 12pm.  I attended the last one in Missoula, and that was lots of fun, until a deer ran out in front of the truck and ruined the front end.  I've never seen so many deer in my life up in Montana.  Beautiful country though and the Smoke Jumpers tour was amazing back at the airport.  

I won't be getting in till Friday early afternoon. Should be attending the Barnstormers party Friday evening - hopefully we can meet up then and any other Mooney's flying in.

Kortopates, I’ll look for you Friday night! I’ll have a Mooney polo shirt on & will wear shorts. Some inbound planes to Santa Fe diverted because of strong crosswinds after I landed. It was bumpy at 12:15pm today and it was very gusty.  It wasn’t my best landing, that’s for sure. 

I don’t have my October schedule yet, so I don’t know if I’ll attend the Gulf Shores event.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mooney_Allegro said:

Kortopates, I’ll look for you Friday night! I’ll have a Mooney polo shirt on & will wear shorts. Some inbound planes to Santa Fe diverted because of strong crosswinds after I landed. It was bumpy at 12:15pm today and it was very gusty.  It wasn’t my best landing, that’s for sure. 

I don’t have my October schedule yet, so I don’t know if I’ll attend the Gulf Shores event.

I'll try to wear a Mooney shirt too. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads up on the winds.

I wish I could go. 

My mom's family and my wife's family are from there.  I went to college and learned how to fly in nearby Mobile.  JKA was one of the places I would fly impress my dates.  My grandparents would meet us there and loan me a car.  

If you have never been to Gulf Shores, Alabama, you are in for a treat.  Gulf Shores is a bit of a secret that hasn't gotten out yet.  It has some of the most beautiful beaches in the US.  In October, there are always condos available at reasonable rates.  

If you like to fish, you can charter fishing boat that will take you out into the Gulf.  Golfers (not my sport) will find a number of excellent courses in the area.  My favorite activity is sitting on the condo balcony, drinking sweet tea, reading the latest Lee Child novel, and watching the waves come in.  My wife likes to go to the beach and do the 'sun rotisserie" thing.  

As for restaurants..when I'm there I always try to go to the "Wolf Bay Lodge" for sea food.  There's another interesting place called "Lulu's" that's on the intracoastal waterway.  It belongs to Jimmy Buffett's sister, and he has been know to pop in there every once in a while and sing..about 10 miles north of the JKA airport, on Hiway 59, there is an outlet mall that your wife will love, and right next door is Fletcher's Restaurant - "home of the thrown rolls"  (another place I make sure I go to whenever I get back there.

https://www.gulfshores.com/things-to-do/attractions/#sm.00000o4necue5ldbfws798rcwgsda

Damn, writing this really really makes me homesick.

Roll Tide!

• 1 month later...