rudder pedal vibration

I've noticed lately the right rudder on the ground feels different.  Not sure quite how to explain it other than maybe it doesn't turn as well to the right  or takes more to get it to do it.  In flight it feels like there's slightly more slop and flappyness.  Well I went out with my CFI yesterday to convert dinos into noise and of course he couldnt just take a nice ride.  Steep turns, ILS approach, slow flight.  Doing slow flight and making right hand turns the rudder pedal was flapping around enough I told him to put his feet on the pedals and tell me if Im crazy.  He agreed it seemed weirder than normal.  He has 10k hours and about 200 in my plane.  Continued the flight and didn't really notice it again.  

I had briefly mentioned the vibration to my IA a few weeks ago and he said its probably time to replace all the rod end bearings.  Well after this last flight I called Dan at @LASAR and asked for a quote for all the movy pieces from back to front.

On the ground the rudder if you move it by hand has a few inches of deflection without really moving the pedals.  

aside from rod ends any other thoughts on issue?

**Edit:  Slop!! slop is the word Im looking for... 

Edited by TheTurtle
  • Like 1

I would find it hard to believe that worn rod end bearings would produce several inches of free play at the rudder.  I suspect you have broken linkage somewhere.  I would not fly the plane until you figure this out.

I would clamp the co pilot pedals with a piece of board or aluminum bar, then start inspecting system and wiggling the rudder until you locate the source of the play.

Clarence

If the problem was only on the ground, I would look at the nose gear steering linkage.  Years ago I had a customer who broke the rudder pedal torque tube from putting too much pressure on the ground.  Either way, as Clarence said, you should have it looked at.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbarry said:

Could it be that it has an issue with a spring on the aileron-rudder interconnect?

Im relatively new to Mooney’s, but when I was finishing my PPL, I had a “Why does the rudder feel like I have to push it for straight flight and fight it” problem. Turns out it was a broken rudder pedal spring. 

• Like 1

Talked to Dan today.  He says 75% of the slop will be in the steering horn thingy above the nose wheel.  $650ish.  He says only 3 or so rod ends can be changed as the rest are pinned in and need a machinist to swap.  I'm going to get the horn and hardware and then the 3 rod end bearings that are threaded.  With the caveat that he isn't a lawyer etc etc he said there's no safety of flight issue with the slop.  I will still be having my IA take a look before flying to confirm nothing is actually broken.

Read up on the eight second ride...  it is a DMax article related to the worn nose parts... and the effects on landing control.

a reference to riding a TX bull...

Intersting all the parts from nose to tail are related including the spring interconnects...

control surface vibrations can become very serious. It is best to know what the cause is while on the ground...

PP thoughts, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

9 hours ago, TheTurtle said:

Talked to Dan today.  He says 75% of the slop will be in the steering horn thingy above the nose wheel.  $650ish.  .... he said there's no safety of flight issue with the slop.

You have a few INCHES of slop in your rudder (a primary flight control) and you believe someone saying there's no safety of flight issue without them actually looking to see where the slop is ????   You are a far more trusting soul than I am.

23 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

You have a few INCHES of slop in your rudder (a primary flight control) and you believe someone saying there's no safety of flight issue without them actually looking to see where the slop is ????   You are a far more trusting soul than I am.

I specifically said:  I will still be having my IA take a look before flying to confirm nothing is actually broken.