Landing a Mooney - Safety Culture

Yetti

2 hours ago, Shadrach said:

This thread has kind of degenerated.  People are building strawmen and then attacking them in the next sentence. No one has advocated a regimen so closed as to not practice short field, soft field or crosswind landings (or anything else that one ought to prepare for).  Most of these activities require more precision and speed control, not less.  What has been said by me and others, can be boiled down to the notion that there is no operational need to carry surplus energy to the touchdown zone and that doing so is the cause of many embarrassing if not dangerous incidents.  If you want to cross the numbers at 115mph and hold it off for 3000' or fly it on at whatever speed you deem best, go for it.  I think folks should be able to operate as they please.  But I will not agree that it's good SOP because it's not.

The real issue is that a lot of low time Mooney pilots look to this and other forums for operational guidance. If you're advocating poor technique as an "alternative" to good airmanship, I would expect the community to label it what it is...sloppy airmanship.

I don't think anyone is advocating more speed.   I at least am advocating how to learn the right speed given the conditions so there is not another stall spin in the landing phase of a Mooney.   It's one think to know not to do that, its another to be aware of when you are getting near to that flight envelope and then get yourself out of it quickly.

That project looks like it was incredibly difficult to land when hand flying, but why does this concept not come back?  It seems quite workable with digital feedback control computers at the stick landing the thing. Or assisting the stabilization.

There are a ton of companies working on the equivalent of VTOL Uber-type vehicles. As for me, I want my Jetsons Flying Car!!

2 minutes ago, N9201A said:

There are a ton of companies working on the equivalent of VTOL Uber-type vehicles. As for me, I want my Jetsons Flying Car!!

True and that is part of what I am saying but those quadcopter type human carriers will be very short range (like 10 miles) and slow (like 50kts). That thing in the picture looks like it’s goodfor 400kts.