Boeing KC-46 FAA Certification

I came across this article I my news feed this morning which I found quite interesting.  I did not know the FAA had to issue a type certificate to any aircraft designed and/or built exclusively for the US Military.  But apparently the TC was issued in December 2017 and the STC was just issued for this aircraft.

I found this odd as I read about military aircraft a lot and never read about any FAA certifications for the F-35, C-17, F-22, UH-72, or any other aircraft I can think of.  Do all those KC-135s and KC-10s hold an FAA type certificate?  I wouldn’t know as that’s before my time.  I’m guessing this had to do with the fact that the KC-46 is being developed from a commercial off-the-shelf product being the 767.  But the 767 already has a TC so that doesn’t make much sense to me.  

Any engineer types here care to explain this to me?

Thanks

Steve

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-boeing/boeings-kc-46-program-completes-faa-certification-idUSKCN1LL0DB?il=0

My unit (AMC Test and Evaluation) is pretty heavily involved in the testing of the KC-46. Yes, the KC-10 is also certified. The KC-46 is TC as a 767, but has to have all of the modifications approved. I'm pretty sure all the boom options are approved already, but there are a lot of issues with the cameras and display that allow the boom operator to make contact in various lighting situations. I do work on the airdrop side, so I just get limited updates when we have big get together and talk about our programs since we are spread out across the country.

From Boeing... "Boeing previously received its Amended Type Certificate from the FAA for its core 767-2C configuration in December 2017. The 767-2C is a modified version of the company’s commercial 767 with revised structure, wiring and plumbing."

50 minutes ago, b65cuda said:

My unit (AMC Test and Evaluation) is pretty heavily involved in the testing of the KC-46. Yes, the KC-10 is also certified. The KC-46 is TC as a 767, but has to have all of the modifications approved. I'm pretty sure all the boom options are approved already, but there are a lot of issues with the cameras and display that allow the boom operator to make contact in various lighting situations. I do work on the airdrop side, so I just get limited updates when we have big get together and talk about our programs since we are spread out across the country.

Interesting, so this aircraft only needs a TC because it’s derived from a civilian airliner, am I correct? Strictly military aircraft like the F-35 do not undergo any type of FAA certification apart from the military TC they receive, right?

Interesting, so this aircraft only needs a TC because it’s derived from a civilian airliner, am I correct? Strictly military aircraft like the F-35 do not undergo any type of FAA certification apart from the military TC they receive, right?
That is correct. The 767 originally was certified thru the FAA so it makes sense to continue playing in their playground versus taking their toys to a new playground and starting over.

The tactical stuff typically gets "certified" by the appropriate supervising agency or military branch without any FAA involvement. (That's not to say the requirements could be similar or overlap)

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk