IFR & Mooney Mag Compasses

Raptor05121

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

You mean you have lost the skill to recite “east is least, west is best”? Sacreligious. emoji83.png

Of course I remember that jingle. Whaddya think, I’m senile?  

I just don’t recall if that covers converting FROM magnetic TO true, or vice versa.....

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, Marauder said:

You mean you have lost the skill to recite “east is least, west is best”? Sacreligious. emoji83.png

Hmmm . . . . I remember "East is Odd," but that's altitude. Then of course there is ANDS, "Accelerate North, Decelerate South" which is compass stuff, and true--look how many tourists we get down here, everyone decelerates and stops!  :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 5:17 PM, Raptor05121 said:

So its no surprise my cage is magnetized. I had the old whiskey compass which was no good. Upgraded to a PAI-700 simply to help with my IFR training and added the compensating balls, but on E/W cardinal directions, its 16-18 degrees off, and N/S is about 5-7 degrees off.

I don't have an "onboard" GPS. I'm /A with 6-pack, dual VOR and DME. Realistically and FAA-legally speaking, how do I keep my DG aligned during an IFR flight? I have an EFB, but my CFI says its only showing true course, not heading. Its obviously A LOT more accurate than 15 degrees off mag heading, but is it legal if a DPE were to see me update it?

Todd at DAS in Daytona did my compass swing after a ton of avionics...it is dead on......