Sidewall Carpet

The plastic panels in my airplane are good but the sidewall carpeting is starting to deteriorate a bit.  Are there vendors with pre-cut carpet?  What seems to be the preferred method of keeping the carpet in place? 

You talking about these? If so, you’ll probably need to figure out how to get them attached to the cardboard. I wonder if Bruce Jaeger could/would sell you the lower panels from his kit?

c40294cce6b935e9f5b0cc80c0bc8add.jpg

Jaeger panel

ae42ef2250220646fbe2c28a0bfd020d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

It takes about half a day to pull and build each of the side panels with aluminum with leather covering and it will be much much more flame resistant than the cardboard backed factory original.  Probably more flame resistant than the plastic upper panels from the factory.   Some people have considered the plastic sign material for backing.  Don't.  It lights off pretty easy.

Leather still smells good 3 years later

Carpet kits are available.  Call Mike at SCS Interiors and he can even send you paper patterns to make sure they fit.  Or as suggested call Bruce Jaeger.  I did both.  I bought new floor carpets from SCS, but I replaced the sidewall carpet with 1/8" Kydex sheet.  No more cardboard backing and sun faded shag carpeting.  

11 minutes ago, lotsofgadgets said:

Carpet kits are available.  Call Mike at SCS Interiors and he can even send you paper patterns to make sure they fit.  Or as suggested call Bruce Jaeger.  I did both.  I bought new floor carpets from SCS, but I replaced the sidewall carpet with 1/8" Kydex sheet.  No more cardboard backing and sun faded shag carpeting.  

How’d you attach it to the side walls? I’ve had the seats and floor carpet completed on my F. Need to have the sidewalls finished next year and looking for options. 

Cheaper alternatives for side walls means more $$$ for panel upgrades!

I wound up buying the DIY interior repair kit from Bruce Jaeger and it included 100 #6 1/2 screws with tan painted heads, you can probably get them at the aviation section of home depot and hit the heads with a rattle can.  

https://www.jaegeraviation.com/Do-It_Yourself_Plastic_Repair_Kit-2b.pdf

9 hours ago, CDNflyby said:

How’d you attach it to the side walls? I’ve had the seats and floor carpet completed on my F. Need to have the sidewalls finished next year and looking for options. 

Cheaper alternatives for side walls means more $$$ for panel upgrades!

JD at SWTA redid the sidewall carpet in my 252. He replaced the cardboard backing with some burn certified plastic from Plane Plastics. He said he ordered a plain sheet and had them cut it in half for easier shipping. I'm guessing he had two 2'x4' pieces. But measure your carpet to be sure that would be big enough. He laid it out and cut the plastic sheets to be just a little smaller all the way around, than the carpet. Then glued the carpet to the backing. It made for some nice stiff side panels that look great.

• Like 1

Don't forget the baggage area, when you are buying material.    I am not much of a design snob, but mine had from the manual "antique moss" as the descriptor of the carpet.   Antique moss should have never been allowed out into public and there never should have been a Mooney person that selected it as interior.   I think second worse would be the 70's orange carpet followed by the 60's 70's brown.   I guess the brown hides dirt well.

For fasteners there should be a couple ways to go ty wrapping industrial velcro to the  steel cage tubes will remove some need for screws.  I think the whole luggage area is held in with the plastic trim.

• Like 2

Don't forget the baggage area, when you are buying material.    I am not much of a design snob, but mine had from the manual "antique moss" as the descriptor of the carpet.   Antique moss should have never been allowed out into public and there never should have been a Mooney person that selected it as interior.   I think second worse would be the 70's orange carpet followed by the 60's 70's brown.   I guess the brown hides dirt well.

For fasteners there should be a couple ways to go ty wrapping industrial velcro to the  steel cage tubes will remove some need for screws.  I think the whole luggage area is held in with the plastic trim.

Bruce Jaegar has a good solution for the baggage area.

38f2a87955115cb4690ddf274d754844.jpg

Here you can see what it looks like installed on panels.

c776d6e055b570d116d9c43b68252114.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lotsofgadgets said:

I wound up buying the DIY interior repair kit from Bruce Jaeger and it included 100 #6 1/2 screws with tan painted heads, you can probably get them at the aviation section of home depot and hit the heads with a rattle can.  

https://www.jaegeraviation.com/Do-It_Yourself_Plastic_Repair_Kit-2b.pdf

How many AMUs dues the DIY kit run?

Bruce and SCS have the quality stuff....

Airtex has the affordable stuff....

All with the flame retardant as required....

Industrial Velcro from the Aircraft department of HD seems to be the other answer....

My M20C lived on a tight budget... Airtex and old hardware...

Best regards,

-a-