KLGA. LaGuardia arrival question

Browncbr1

12 hours ago, neilpilot said:

I found the East River transition northbound, with a westbound turn for a low level pass of Central Park the highlight of my Hudson River tour.

_MG_9518.JPG

Currently, I’m planning to file to KFOK for 9000 via ................  ARD JFK DPK.   The local guy said they always give that route anyway, even Vfr..  

On departure, I’m planning on heading north 1000agl and pickup the shore line under the bravo to Glen Cove and across the sound to enter the north end of the Hudson exclusion.   I’m thinking to go at 800’..   Then, sometime after passing Ellis island, pick up IFR and head back home.    

Edited by Browncbr1

Used to do the 2 Tanks approach to LGA in a 727 several times a week. Looking at NYC from down low like that was a real interesting flight.

Once did LAX in my Cessna 140 but times have changed in 40 years. 

Hope you have good weather and a good flight. Its something you'll remember. 

On 9/4/2018 at 12:37 PM, Browncbr1 said:

Yea, I studied the Hudson exclusion and considering doing that while in the area. 

I have flown the Hudson river corridor dozens of times before they put in the SFRA, it's remarkable day or night, but night is especially spectacular.  

I flew in there 5 years ago at 1am. Out at 3pm. They brought me in over teterboro and it was a piece of cake. Leaving was easy too as the GA side of the airport taxi way was empty, but the big birds were lined up 20 deep on the airport side.

I made sure to honor the 20 degrees left after take off instructions to get my ass out of the way of position and hold traffic on the runway behind me. If I remember right I departed VFR, but came in ifr and there wasn’t any reservation system I was aware of back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 9/4/2018 at 9:34 PM, Browncbr1 said:

On departure, I’m planning on heading north 1000agl and pickup the shore line under the bravo to Glen Cove and across the sound to enter the north end of the Hudson exclusion.   I’m thinking to go at 800’..   Then, sometime after passing Ellis island, pick up IFR and head back home.

1000’ msl/agl works great for that VFR route. No one else is usually at that altitude.  

Head northwest out of FOK and navigate generally along a route VPJAY-ZABKI-DECKR-COL. That will take you right by glen cove, south of westchester’s delta and north of LGA’s surface area. Just don’t forget 123.05 for the river CTAF when you’re over the Hudson.  

Once you get to the Colts Neck VOR give Mcguire approach a call on 124.15. The frequency is manned by Air Force controllers (read: lots of training goin’ on). They are always eager to help out in picking up an IFR. 

If you’re like me and like to listen rather than get flight followIng you can tune 120.05 out of FOK and then switch to 120.8 once you get to the outer ring of the Bravo. When the frequency’s are busy it’s a lot of fun hearing the professional rhythm of both the pilots and the controllers. (Disclaimer: I generally get flight following but in the NYC area, unless I am going to require VFR access to their airspace, I just monitor). 

One more thing - Keep current on the TFRs for the area. Yankee and Shea stadium are two regular ones as well as the permanent one on the south side of Central Park. Yankees TFR blocks the Hudson around the GW bridge. There are others coming up too but my rule when TFRs are up is to get flight following. The controllers will steer you in the right direction ;)

Do you have a timeframe for your trip yet? 

7 hours ago, Garryowen said:

1000’ msl/agl works great for that VFR route. No one else is usually at that altitude.  

Head northwest out of FOK and navigate generally along a route VPJAY-ZABKI-DECKR-COL. That will take you right by glen cove, south of westchester’s delta and north of LGA’s surface area. Just don’t forget 123.05 for the river CTAF when you’re over the Hudson.  

Once you get to the Colts Neck VOR give Mcguire approach a call on 124.15. The frequency is manned by Air Force controllers (read: lots of training goin’ on). They are always eager to help out in picking up an IFR. 

If you’re like me and like to listen rather than get flight followIng you can tune 120.05 out of FOK and then switch to 120.8 once you get to the outer ring of the Bravo. When the frequency’s are busy it’s a lot of fun hearing the professional rhythm of both the pilots and the controllers. (Disclaimer: I generally get flight following but in the NYC area, unless I am going to require VFR access to their airspace, I just monitor). 

One more thing - Keep current on the TFRs for the area. Yankee and Shea stadium are two regular ones as well as the permanent one on the south side of Central Park. Yankees TFR blocks the Hudson around the GW bridge. There are others coming up too but my rule when TFRs are up is to get flight following. The controllers will steer you in the right direction ;)

Do you have a timeframe for your trip yet? 

Great advice.  Thanks.   Well, I had planned on launching this morning, but my buddy who is looking at the Baron has had difficulty confirming something with the owner’s shop.  He is supposed to get confirmation by 10 this morning.   Sense the weather seems to have slowed down over night, I told him that we could  still go today, but want to launch before noon.  If we do go today, I’ll post here.  We would come back tomorrow..  N9564M

20 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

Great advice.  Thanks.   Well, I had planned on launching this morning, but my buddy who is looking at the Baron has had difficulty confirming something with the owner’s shop.  He is supposed to get confirmation by 10 this morning.   Sense the weather seems to have slowed down over night, I told him that we could  still go today, but want to launch before noon.  If we do go today, I’ll post here.  We would come back tomorrow..  N9564M

Sounds like getting in ahead of the weather and leaving after it is a solid plan. Should be a great trip for you guys. Of course any day we get to fly is always good. 

Best of luck to your buddy in his plane search.