KLGA. LaGuardia arrival question

Browncbr1

I’m planning on flying to Manhattan (KLGA) and just wanted to ping the locals on what to expect transitioning via ARD.    I figure just join the MILTON FOUR arrival at HARLM?  Or they may just tell me to join at DREMS...    Any advice on what to expect would be great!  Thanks!

Someone bases a Baron at LGA?

I fly for an airline flying C402s into BOS/ORD/STL etc, and Id be afraid to take my mooney in there. They really don’t want us there! I’d fly to FRG and Uber. Would be cheaper and lower stress... Sheltair at FRG is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gsengle said:

Oh and the $100 per 15 min parking fees :)

https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/scheduleofcharges-lga.pdf

I see that $100/15minutes is for the ramp, but I also see a parking tie down area mentioned that is a flat $55 for up to 8 hours. Right?

I see that $100/15minutes is for the ramp, but I also see a parking tie down area mentioned that is a flat $55 for up to 8 hours. Right?

I have no idea. But I sure wouldn’t take my Mooney in there. Unless you’re an airline pilot and know what’s up. And even then.... just imho

• Like 1

Maybe the Baron owner can move it to a more Ga friendly airport.  I did go in there (right seat) in a 182 on an Angel Flight many years ago...but it was on the stressful side....even with two of us.  As others said, they don’t really want GA in there...throws off the flow.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Agree.  And remember the aforementioned mandatory slot reservation system for all GA aircraft...no matter the size.

The reservation system is for IFR operations.  Or so it says on the FAA site.   Presume an unscheduled VFR arrival is ok.  If you can get cleared into Bravo airspace.  

13 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

The reservation system is for IFR operations.  Or so it says on the FAA site.   Presume an unscheduled VFR arrival is ok.  If you can get cleared into Bravo airspace.  

There's a different "reservation" required for VFR.  "VFR RESERVATION INFO AVBL ON ATIS"

• Like 2

Thanks for all the advice guys.  As it seems they don’t want us there, I would expect to receive lots of delays waiting for all the commercial traffic in and out.    Aside from the operations side, I’d rather not wind up sitting for an hour waiting to take off.  

44 minutes ago, steingar said:

Landing one a minute on crossed runways? I'll leave that to the pros.  Lots of win in this thread.  Who bases an airplane at LaGuardia?

Yea, at the advice of others, I'm planning on going into one of the other options.  If weather permits, I'd like to do the hudson river route.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

Yea, at the advice of others, I'm planning on going into one of the other options.  If weather permits, I'd like to do the hudson river route.

Good choice.  I used to be based in New York. Flew the maddog shuttle runs for Delta. It would be entertaining to hear all the comments from atc while flying a Mooney there!!!  Anything less than a small turboprop plane just gums up lga more than it normally is. 

• Like 1

Just to pile on, I've been in there well over 100 times, but all in big jets.  You CAN land there, I've seen it done.  BUT you'd likely be put in a holding pattern, and then stuck in a very tight spot during a break in traffic.  You might hold for an hour.   As an alternative (and I see you're not going there, but just for the info), there are lots of VFR folks on sight-seeing jaunts all over NYC.  As long as you stay cooperative, you could easily wander up the Hudson.  Stunning views.

20 minutes ago, DMJones said:

Just to pile on, I've been in there well over 100 times, but all in big jets.  You CAN land there, I've seen it done.  BUT you'd likely be put in a holding pattern, and then stuck in a very tight spot during a break in traffic.  You might hold for an hour.   As an alternative (and I see you're not going there, but just for the info), there are lots of VFR folks on sight-seeing jaunts all over NYC.  As long as you stay cooperative, you could easily wander up the Hudson.  Stunning views.

Yea, I studied the Hudson exclusion and considering doing that while in the area. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

Yea, I studied the Hudson exclusion and considering doing that while in the area. 

It is easier than it seems....in fact, when you are flying looking into the Skyscrapers, you won’t believe they allow you to do this.  One of the last great freedoms in aviation (ok there are a few, but this one has to be at the top of the list). There is a lot of material on line, but if you want to talk through it, feel free to give me a call.

• Like 1