KX 155 Display

So we had a fun surprise during an all-morning IFR practice flight... Shut down our plane to get fuel, started back up and the display on one of our KX 155's didn't come on at all. The radio seems to be getting power because the VOR indicator twitches when you turn the radio on. Any thoughts on failure mode?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My Kx165 did exactly this 3 months ago.  I replaced it with the only other operational 14V KX165 in the world at the time...

I haven't had mine repaired yet, and don't know the failure mode, but swapping displays from the known good one did nothing. It had done this in the past but always came back to life. I am assuming a capacitor or something finally completely dried out.

Do you still get actual radio reception? Mine made 'sounds' but nothing transmit or received.

iain

My Kx165 did exactly this 3 months ago.  I replaced it with the only other operational 14V KX165 in the world at the time...
I haven't had mine repaired yet, and don't know the failure mode, but swapping displays from the known good one did nothing. It had done this in the past but always came back to life. I am assuming a capacitor or something finally completely dried out.
Do you still get actual radio reception? Mine made 'sounds' but nothing transmit or received.

iain
I can't be sure if the radio is still properly transmitting/receiving as we weren't local when it failed and we can't remember what we had dialed in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, moontownMooney said:

I can't be sure if the radio is still properly transmitting/receiving as we weren't local when it failed and we can't remember what we had dialed in

Pull the knob for test/squelch and see if you hear static.  You may not hear voice, but you'll know if it has an audio output.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...