AOG. At KVGT Vegas mechanic recomendation

Igor_U

Sitting on a pool at Vegas hotel...

My Wife and I tried to leave to Seattle today and had engine issue on deaparture. 

It was hot, 35c on and upon handout to departure Engine monitor EGR30P showed cylinder 2 in red and later oil temp as well. It seems cyl temp was all over (380-460) so i thought indication problem but high oil temp in red worried me. I had 6.5-7qts of oil. 

Went back did one orbit over airport. Seemed Oil temp was in red but cyl2 went green but had no time to see value with talking to Nelis app and tower.

what really got my attention was indicated negative (in red) fuel pressure when el boost pump was off  on the ground. In air all was green on takeoff but with boost pump off fuel press went from 26psi to lower. Like 15-16

engine run well in air and later on ground

Normaly engine cyls always run cool in cruse (300-320 LOP or even less) but cht2 in climb would come close to 390 on a hot day  

one thing why i thoght Cht probe issue was that on Friday arrival cht2 went red at approach after long decent (makes mo sence) for 15 sec and went away- i went full rich. 

So, looking for some ideas. 

Also recomendation for Mechanic at North Vegas KVGT. I’ll call someone to have a look Tuesday am.

hopefully they can dowload monitor files...

We fly commercialy tomorrow, not ideal but have new job at central WA....

first AOG outside my base in 13 years. 

Thank you

The thermal mass of the cylinder should prevent it from changing too rapidly, it takes about a minute for my cylinder temperature to rise 50° on startup and take off. And it should not jump up and down. I would check the ground/power connections of the engine monitor. Check the downloaded data for other erratic readings.

@MHemperly was based at VGT. He might have a recommendation. I used Lone Mountain for my pre buy. They are the MSC in Vegas. They seemed OK except they missed that someone wrapped aluminum tape around a hole in the vacuum pump piping that was rubbing on the engine manifold. 

I also have used Horton Aviation Service when my GPS/HSI connection was acting up. They weren’t able to fix it, I ended up just buying a replacement annunciator that fixed the problem. 

In your case I’d probably go with Lone Mountain. 

Since #2 cylinder and the oil cooler are in close proximity and showing the problems did you happen to check to see if something was blocking the airflow from cooling them? It might be worth a check. As for the fuel pump just check the historic data I bet you just happened to notice it since of the other issues and is fine. My J’s and current planes fuel pressure is  lower on the mechanical than the boost.

My F has oil cooler relocated to location location aft of #4, similarly to J model. 

Oil temps are normally around 180-190. We’ll see what data dowload will show. 

Shop will have to do it. Not ideal, I know 

Thanks for recommendations .

On 9/3/2018 at 3:24 PM, Igor_U said:

My Wife and I tried to leave to Seattle today and had engine issue on deaparture. 

It was hot, 35c on and upon handout to departure Engine monitor EGR30P showed cylinder 2 in red and later oil temp as well. It seems cyl temp was all over (380-460) so i thought indication problem but high oil temp in red worried me. I had 6.5-7qts of oil. 

Went back did one orbit over airport. Seemed Oil temp was in red but cyl2 went green but had no time to see value with talking to Nelis app and tower.

what really got my attention was indicated negative (in red) fuel pressure when el boost pump was off  on the ground. In air all was green on takeoff but with boost pump off fuel press went from 26psi to lower. Like 15-16

Normaly engine cyls always run cool in cruse (300-320 LOP or even less) but cht2 in climb would come close to 390 on a hot day  

one thing why i thoght Cht probe issue was that on Friday arrival cht2 went red at approach after long decent (makes mo sence) for 15 sec and went away- i went full rich. 

Also recomendation for Mechanic at North Vegas KVGT. I’ll call someone to have a look Tuesday am.

Thank you

Sorry about your issues but at least you got stuck in Vegas!! Give me a call and I will set you up with my guys at EGA.  

702-430-2255

On 9/3/2018 at 3:24 PM, Igor_U said:

Thank you

Oh man!! Ive been busy and not on Mooneyspace for 7 days and I leave a Mooneyspacer high and dry in my home town!! I think I saw your Mooney on the ramp infront of the shop so maybe Len at EGA has you fixed up already but if not or you need any help with logistics give me a call. Sorry about your issues but at least you got stuck in Vegas!! Sorry about the late reply too

702-430-2255

17 hours ago, Jeev said:

Oh man!! Ive been busy and not on Mooneyspace for 7 days and I leave a Mooneyspacer high and dry in my home town!! I think I saw your Mooney on the ramp infront of the shop so maybe Len at EGA has you fixed up already but if not or you need any help with logistics give me a call. Sorry about your issues but at least you got stuck in Vegas!! Sorry about the late reply too

702-430-2255

Jeev, no problem

Plane is stuck in Vegas but I had to get home and then to central WA (KMHW) for a new job in flight test...

All the shops were busy and I went with Lone Mountain Aviation; EGA called me back too late but someone at the field recommended them also.

Verdict was restricted fuel flow in offending cylinder, so they flushed it and seems all good now. I still have to see the bill but it should be minor in aviation terms.

Why would this happen? We flew Non-stop KPAE-KVGT, almost 6h in the air (used 48gal at the pump!) and basically run the LH tank dry. Could it be it pick up some debris at the bottom of the tank? I'll have to look at the engine monitor data when I come back.

I'll probably fly down on SAT morning, Uber at KLAS to KVGT and fly out ASAP.

Thanks all for help.

3 hours ago, teejayevans said:

I thought the fuel pickup was above the fuel drain, so in theory any foreign material should be drained, unless is was pretty big, then it should not have gotten past the multiple screens along its path to the injectors.

That is my understanding as well.

Interesting,  as others have said I wonder how something could have gotten past all the screens to that single cylinder... well if you get here on Saturday and things don’t go as planned give me a call I will help you in any way I can. 

Note to others...

Always use caution when cleaning a fuel injector.  You really want to catch the offending material if able...

It will help you know what may be falling apart upstream.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

What is your new Job? Flight test? Sounds really cool! :)

Best regards,

-a-