430W losing satellites

The evil GPS sucking Yuma Proving Grounds:

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2018/Sep/YPG_18-25_(Revision_1)_GPS_Flight_Advisory.pdf

From my experience, they are doing more then just jamming the GPS and WAAS signals. They are spoofing. I have seen traffic targets, in that area, that were doing strange things that I couldn't see visually even though they apparently flew within 1/4 mile of me. I think there was some Millennial at a keyboard screwing with me.

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2018/Sep/YPG_18-25_(Revision_1)_GPS_Flight_Advisory.pdf

From my experience, they are doing more then just jamming the GPS and WAAS signals. They are spoofing. I have seen traffic targets, in that area, that were doing strange things that I couldn't see visually even though they apparently flew within 1/4 mile of me. I think there was some Millennial at a keyboard screwing with me.

On your TIS-B display?  I'm not sure how that would have anything to do with you, it'd have to be something or someone sending inaccurate GPS data to the ground ADS-B receivers/ATC radar on the 1090Mhz or UAT frequency, not the GPS/WAAS frequency, right?

6 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

On your TIS-B display?  I'm not sure how that would have anything to do with you, it'd have to be something or someone sending inaccurate GPS data to the ground ADS-B receivers/ATC radar on the 1090Mhz or UAT frequency, not the GPS/WAAS frequency, right?

Yes, traffic on Foreflight and on the Avidyne. The target was at the same altitude as me. It would zoom past at 400 KTS or so, barely missing me, then slow down to about 100 KTS until I caught up with it then zoom ahead, turn around and zoom past in the opposite direction, circled back and then fly in a loose formation going from 1 mile behind to 1 mile ahead and about 1/2 mile away horizontal. I never saw a thing. My wife was in the plane watching too. We were both cranking our heads looking for the traffic. There was nothing.

Hey, wait a minute, it's not your ownship, is it?  I had that happen before I excluded my own signal from Fltplan Go, you have to enter your Mode S code in the options somewhere.  It seems like most apps will try to filter out you're ownship through some kind of logic, but the only reliable way of removing yourself is to have ADS-B Out and entering your Mode S code.  Otherwise, I was freaked out by having a traffic alert suddenly appear right on top of me.  If you're not close to a radar site, your position could be off by a mile or two on their radar.

40 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Hey, wait a minute, it's not your ownship, is it?  I had that happen before I excluded my own signal from Fltplan Go, you have to enter your Mode S code in the options somewhere.  It seems like most apps will try to filter out you're ownship through some kind of logic, but the only reliable way of removing yourself is to have ADS-B Out and entering your Mode S code.  Otherwise, I was freaked out by having a traffic alert suddenly appear right on top of me.  If you're not close to a radar site, your position could be off by a mile or two on their radar.

No, it wasn't me. I've seen my shadow, it follows in tight formation. That's not what I was seeing.

16 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

No, it wasn't me. I've seen my shadow, it follows in tight formation. That's not what I was seeing.

Hmm.  Well, something would have to be spoofing a false position on the 1090 or UAT frequency then.  True "spoofing" of GPS would require planting a transmitter on your plane (or someone flying one very close to your plane), and it sounds like you're not questioning your own location.

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

And all them folks with google maps wondering "where the hell am I"

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Hmm.  Well, something would have to be spoofing a false position on the 1090 or UAT frequency then.  True "spoofing" of GPS would require planting a transmitter on your plane (or someone flying one very close to your plane), and it sounds like you're not questioning your own location.

No, they seemed to be sending out fake TIS-B signals or sending fake ADS-B signals to the system. I have also had my GPS go offline in that area, so I always have my VORs running while I fly through there just in case. You can only fly the airways around there anyway because of the restricted airspace and Mexico.

The upside is it is almost always severe clear weather in that area. Your biggest risk on a nav loss would be drifting into the restricted airspace or across the border, but there is always I8. 

44 minutes ago, Mike Ropers said:

And all them folks with google maps wondering "where the hell am I"

I remember the old days when we used mile markers, road signs and paper maps!

It will be funny after the apocalypse watching all the millennials wandering around aimlessly.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

42 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

It will be funny after the apocalypse watching all the millennials wandering around aimlessly.

True, but without them we would not be able to program our VCR's :D

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

When I first started installing signs, I went all over the valley.  You could get a Garmin for your car, but they were crazy expensive.  So I had this huge book I carried around (Thomas, I think).  You would flip to back and look for the street, then cross reference the address number, and it would give you a page and grid to look at.  Then flip to that page, scour the grid till you found the street.  Then figure our how to get there.  I don't think my kids would have a clue how to use it if I gave it to them.

2 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

When I first started installing signs, I went all over the valley.  You could get a Garmin for your car, but they were crazy expensive.  So I had this huge book I carried around (Thomas, I think).  You would flip to back and look for the street, then cross reference the address number, and it would give you a page and grid to look at.  Then flip to that page, scour the grid till you found the street.  Then figure our how to get there.  I don't think my kids would have a clue how to use it if I gave it to them.

Like this:

8FEA72CA-9225-4D7A-ABD7-D2198ED473F3.jpeg

• Like 1