M20J Instrument Panel Tilt

Hi fellow Mooniacs,

here is the question of the day.

Does anyone know if the Intrument Panel in A M20J has a tilt and if it does how many degrees.

We just installed a electr. artificial horizon from Castleberry which after a longer level flight turns to a pitch down attitude.

The manufacturer claims this has something to do wit a tilt.

Anyone knows something ?

Zhx Axel

• 3 months later...

I believe the J has zero tilt in the vertical plane, assuming everything is still "square" with the world and the panel hasn't been monkeyed with at some point in the past.

Alun, if you have a constant slip shown, I would suggest you get the rigging checked.  (I presume you're talking about in flight, correct?)  It could be that your plane is flying slightly crooked in cruise and indicates a slip.

Oh, I forgot to mention...if you and/or your mechanic don't have access to the rigging boards, you can check the installation of the Aspen (or any TC) by jacking up the plane and leveling it per the maintenance manual.  Once you get it completely level (front-to-back and wingtip-to-wingtip) then check the slip/skid indicator and the ball should be centered.  I'm not sure how the Aspen displays, it though.  If the instrument shows a slip, then you have a mounting problem with either the instrument or the entire panel.