IO-360 A1A Oil pressure

Hmmm, just happened to take a picture today and it looks like my typical cruise is around 70.  1000 rpm puts it at the top of the yellow.  I think cold temp start up is near 80...but can’t quite recall....I know I always wait until the temp is green before TO and  the pressure can get near top of the green on those colder days.  What are your pressures?

• Like 1

John, I run straight 50 weight oil so the OilP is over 90 for a few minutes at startup. Once the OilT gets to 140+ the pressure is in the green. In cruise the pressure is pretty sensitive to OilT and runs from low 60s to mid 70s.  I swapped out the pressure spring to the next stronger one shortly after the engine was torn down 4 years ago. 

Lycoming stated to me they want the oil pressure in cruise to be about 80 psi.  Start-up should be no higher than 115 psi (they did not indicated a MP or RPM with that).  Oil pressure, all things equal, is higher when the oil is cold.  

What pressure are you all running in cruise?

John Breda

Lycoming stated to me they want the oil pressure in cruise to be about 80 psi.  Start-up should be no higher than 115 psi (they did not indicated a MP or RPM with that).  Oil pressure, all things equal, is higher when the oil is cold.  
John Breda

John - looking at the replies above, I think it depends on OAT and the oil viscosity the owner uses.

In summer conditions, using multi-viscosity Aeroshell 15W-50, my startup oil pressure is around 50 to 60 at idle (1000 RPM) and around the mid 70s in cruise.

Around 80 for cruise is not far off what I am seeing above. I think the 110 has to be single viscosity and cooler temps. I have never seen anything over 90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't you guys think my Oil pressure is on the low side? Can this be the cause of the Oil temp to be on the high side?

I see my gauge (just overhauled) on the edge between the yellow and the green...

The chart is from yesterday flight. OAT @3000' was 73F. MAP 21 RPM 23 in cruise @ about 120kts. FF 10.5.

Savvy capture oil pressure.PNG

Edited by FastTex

5 hours ago, FastTex said:

Don't you guys think my Oil pressure is on the low side? Can this be the cause of the Oil temp to be on the high side?

I see my gauge (just overhauled) on the edge between the yellow and the green...

The chart is from yesterday flight. OAT @3000' was 73F. MAP 21 RPM 23 in cruise @ about 120kts. FF 10.5.

For our o360 which should be no different on oil pressure we see high 70's in climb even with temps above 200 and in cruise at 24/21 with OaT around 90 degrees still between 70 and 75 with oil temp around 200. The numbers you show do seem a bit low.

4 minutes ago, FastTex said:

Great datapoints. Thanks!

Does anyone know the PSI value per washer adjustment on the oil pump? Apparently I have 6 washers in mine so my A&P says we can add two or three more (9 is the max allowed...). That should also help the oil temp.

I wouldn’t expect much with regard to oil temp. I always adjust my oil pressure to the bottom of the green while hot. I find the engine uses less oil.

I have an adjustable regulator I will sell for $50 + shipping if you are interested. I replaced it to stop an oil leak, but that wasn’t it, so it should be good.

7 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I wouldn’t expect much with regard to oil temp. I always adjust my oil pressure to the bottom of the green while hot. I find the engine uses less oil.

I have an adjustable regulator I will sell for $50 + shipping if you are interested. I replaced it to stop an oil leak, but that wasn’t it, so it should be good.

PM sent

On 9/9/2018 at 5:04 AM, FastTex said:

My 67F runs in the 60-70 range in cruise during the summer in Chicago with Aeroshell 100W straight weight. Note: I don't have an electronic oil p  instrument, I'm reading it off the steam gaugue.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 8:52 PM, M20F-1968 said:

John Breda

90-95 PSI.  More oil pressure doesn’t hurt these things  

3 hours ago, powder_hounder said:

My 67F runs in the 60-70 range in cruise during the summer in Chicago with Aeroshell 100W straight weight. Note: I don't have an electronic oil p  instrument, I'm reading it off the steam gaugue.

Does your gauge stay in between the yellow and the green, slightly towards the last one?

So I am still trying to sort out my oil pressure issue.  The engine is an Lycoming IO-360 A1A

I started out with 60 psi in cruise, with 40 year old spring, #68668 and 4 washers = 60 psi

Added 3 washers = 61 psi

Changed to new 61084 spring, with 2 washers, ground ran with 75 psi (cold old oil)

Added two more washers with 61084 (now total 4 washers) = ground run-up to 2000 RPM = 80 psi

1 week later, flew the plane after changing oil, 60 psi upon starting and 60 - 67 (at most) in cruise (typically 62-63 psi)

I think I need to put a gauge of the engine to determine what pressure I actually have.  Perhaps put in the next heavier spring (LW-18085)

Any thoughts?  Should it matter that it is turbo normalized, therefore has more oil volume in the system?

John Breda