Hydraulic Flaps Question

I’m looking at a 1964-C model that I’m considering purchasing (my first airplane).... the current owner explained (as he demonstrated to me) that you have to pump the handle until you feel resistance and then 4 times will be full flaps... is that normal to have to pump up some pressure before the flaps start to move? 

12 hours ago, MIR2018 said:

I’m looking at a 1964-C model that I’m considering purchasing (my first airplane).... the current owner explained (as he demonstrated to me) that you have to pump the handle until you feel resistance and then 4 times will be full flaps... is that normal to have to pump up some pressure before the flaps start to move? 

The hydraulic system which operates the flaps also powers the toe brakes. I wonder if the brakes on that M20C also need to be "primed". The owner ought to be able to tell you whether he keeps the (single) reservoir full. 

Do you plan to have a PPI done? If so I'd recommend @AGL Aviation very near you. KMRN. 

• Like 1

Either it's low on fluid or needs to be bled.  Top off hydraulic reservoir.  Easier than formally bleeding is pumping the handle like a million times without the switch in the up position.  Guarantee the air will work its way out eventually, but it takes a ton of pumping.  

Also check for leaks - I've got a few small ones in the system that I've never fully resolved, so I add 30cc fluid to top off at every oil change.

5 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

The hydraulic system which operates the flaps also powers the toe brakes. I wonder if the brakes on that M20C also need to be "primed". The owner ought to be able to tell you whether he keeps the (single) reservoir full. 

Do you plan to have a PPI done? If so I'd recommend @AGL Aviation very near you. KMRN. 

Thanks... The airplane will be going to the MSC at KDNN.  But since the airplane is going into annual this week, wouldn't they take care of it, or at least write it up as a discrepancy?

5 minutes ago, MIR2018 said:

ANOTHER QUESTION:

This airplane has what is labeled "field" (embossing taped)  and according to the owner, the battery doesn't charge unless this switch is on... What might that be about?

It would be a switch to turn the voltage regulator on/off. Is it a circuit breaker switch?

8 minutes ago, MIR2018 said:

ANOTHER QUESTION:

This airplane has what is labeled "field" (embossing taped)  and according to the owner, the battery doesn't charge unless this switch is on... What might that be about?

You see them on twins so you can check the individual alternators. You don’t see them on singles very often.

1 minute ago, N201MKTurbo said:

You see them on twins so you can check the individual alternators. You don’t see them on singles very often.

When I did the plane power alternator conversation, they spec'd a "Field" switch , so mine has one too..... Nice bright yellow light to remind you after start-up

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RLCarter said:

When I did the plane power alternator conversation, they spec'd a "Field" switch , so mine has one too..... Nice bright yellow light to remind you after start-up

Well, no bright yellow lite.  Guess I’ll have a bold action on my checklist until I can have a lite installed... ( If it passes PPI)

3 hours ago, MIR2018 said:

Well, no bright yellow lite.  Guess I’ll have a bold action on my checklist until I can have a lite installed... ( If it passes PPI)

My buddy's C doesn't have the light either, the AMP gauge will let ya know as well

I own a 64c. My flaps move on the first pump.  This system although simple requires an old school mechanic that is a craftsman. Hard to find these days. It takes reading the manual and not losing any parts if it is taken apart. Good luck finding that guy. I got lucky when I had a issue with the system that my plane just happened to be at Van Nuys. 

Most mechanics these days take shit apart without reading,  it was done to me by a MSC up north  destroyed my carb heat,  cost me a lot to take someplace else for repair  

16 hours ago, MIR2018 said:

Thanks... The airplane will be going to the MSC at KDNN.  But since the airplane is going into annual this week, wouldn't they take care of it, or at least write it up as a discrepancy?

That would be Cole. And yes they should catch it and service as necessary but it would not hurt to point it out to Joey assuming you have input. If Joey is working for the seller you might want to be sure that he brings it up.