Finally finished!

jma201

I finally got my baby back today after a long and extensive refurbish.  N201JJ is the 51st 201 to come off the line in Kerrville.  It’s been in the family since new in ‘77.  Now she is ready for my kids.  

Special props to  KSMooniac for the inspiration some years back.  I’ve loved his airplane since I first saw it here on the site.  We made a few changes to make it our own.  

F9F1578E-25D7-4189-BE5A-B0DEB14326E9.jpeg

811D4DEC-6DAE-4821-B2A5-7D9932442EFD.jpeg

E0E02172-A560-4B81-85B7-7744165C1E85.jpeg

• Like 20

11 hours ago, Mooney in Oz said:

That is so nice looking and I notice the addition of LED navs.

If the interior has also been done, can we have some pics?

I'm also very partial to early J's. :D

I will try and post a few interior pics later.  We replaced all the plastic and had the glare shield covered.  The leather seats were done a while back.

Thanks to all for the comments.

• 2 months later...
Here are some interior pics.IMG_0622.thumb.jpg.4ba1b4726bc6db98bd136d307f108852.jpgIMG_0621.thumb.jpg.f468343ae774f5612d247034d2eb8641.jpg

IMG_0623.thumb.jpg.04b6ddf29a2865c6713b37ffe1da7d42.jpg

IMG_0624.thumb.jpg.94041e7c4ad62ddb711ac2f953bfd0cb.jpg

IMG_0620.thumb.jpg.91cc16760589f9ddbefc94f65718e45c.jpg

IMG_0619.thumb.jpg.589b4838da26f8f779b10759d828a25c.jpg

A few questions. I like your color selection of the seats.  I'm partial to tan since it hides dirt well.

e14cbec0808aa18147f2119449228cd5.jpg

The questions. What material do you have on the top panel? It looks like the leather used on the seats is on the top rear and either a textured paint or a cloth material on the front. Is that what is going on there?

What are all the buttons on the right side of the yoke responsible for?

I didn't see a gear bypass switch on your 77 J. I thought all of them had it installed.

I didn't see a gear bypass switch on your 77 J. I thought all of them had it installed.  

Doesn’t have the annunciator, the fuel selector is either covered up or is not in its standard location (front center) and the lights for gear indications look like an F I believe.Cowl flaps is in the wrong position as well. I’ve seen people add J mods to a E or F and call it a J 201, this looks like one of those.

And the yokes are rusting a little, need to polish those.

It was manufactured in 1976, maybe the first Js were part Fs.

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

A few questions. I like your color selection of the seats. emoji4.png I'm partial to tan since it hides dirt well.

e14cbec0808aa18147f2119449228cd5.jpg

The questions. What material do you have on the top panel? It looks like the leather used on the seats is on the top rear and either a textured paint or a cloth material on the front. Is that what is going on there?

What are all the buttons on the right side of the yoke responsible for?

The rear panel was not available for replacement from Plane Plastics for some reason, so we repaired and covered it in ultra leather.  Not an exact match to the seats, but close.  The seats were done years ago.  I do not have that info readily at hand.  The front top panel is a replacement from Plane Plastics.

The right buttons are remote Ident to the GTX-327, comm 1 and comm 2 swap, and standby frequency swap to the 430W.

I'm not sure about the gear bypass switch.  It's never come up.  I've seen them on other Mooney's and wondered about them.  I always assumed I would pull the breaker if I had a problem and go manual.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jma201 said:

The rear panel was not available for replacement from Plane Plastics for some reason, so we repaired and covered it in ultra leather.  Not an exact match to the seats, but close.  The seats were done years ago.  I do not have that info readily at hand.  The front top panel is a replacement from Plane Plastics.

The right buttons are remote Ident to the GTX-327, comm 1 and comm 2 swap, and standby frequency swap to the 430W.

I'm not sure about the gear bypass switch.  It's never come up.  I've seen them on other Mooney's and wondered about them.  I always assumed I would pull the breaker if I had a problem and go manual.  

Thanks. The bypass switch will allow you to retract the gear if the squat or airspeed switch failed to activate. If they fail, you won't be able to get the gear up manually. It is not a common failure although people like me who have a squat switch found it handy in really cold environments to get the gear up when the donuts don't expand enough to activate the switch. I had it installed in my 75 F. Not sure when it became standard on the fleet.

Doesn’t have the annunciator, the fuel selector is either covered up or is not in its standard location (front center) and the lights for gear indications look like an F I believe.Cowl flaps is in the wrong position as well. I’ve seen people add J mods to a E or F and call it a J 201, this looks like one of those.And the yokes are rusting a little, need to polish those.
It was manufactured in 1976, maybe the first Js were part Fs.
I have a 77 J as well and there are some carry-over details from the F. Fuel selector is in front of the pilot on the floor, just like the pre-J models. There wasn't an annunciator panel, just four individual warning lights and a push-to-test button. Cowl flaps control is below the panel instead of on the console like later models. The overhead vent is the older pop-up scoop and round vents too. It is still a real J, though!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Great pics!

I’m not sure about the title of the thread...

It starts simply by updating one thing or the whole airframe...  :)

What’s next?

Best regards,

-a-

We did the whole airframe replacing a few items, control rods, etc in addition to the strip and repaint.  Shortly after pickup I had a failure of the fuel servo on takeoff.  Not fun.  So now that is all replaced with new fuel lines, etc.  I also added a GDL-82 while it was down for the fuel system repair.  Next is a wish list that will have to wait for a replenished bank account.  On the list is JDM-900, IFD440 swap for the 430W.  I'm an early PO for the STEC 3100 which would replace the STEC 50/Alt Hold/GPSS unit I have now.  Finally, either dual G5s or Aspen Max.  In hindsight, I chose poorly by using "Finished" in the thread title.  We are never really "Finished". 

• Like 3

WOW great choice on the scheme and colors, makes me miss my J I just sold.   I picked a very similar scheme but different colors.  Enjoy and no matter what anyone tells you it IS faster with smooth new paint ;).