Weird to approach a relative of a dead pilot?

ragedracer1977

Recently a guy a few doors down from my shop was killed in a plane crash (I posted about it here.).  He owned a Mooney F.  I have a passing acquaintance with his son, who really knows nothing about planes.  The F is a really nice plane and I’d hate to see it rot.  I have zero interest in buying it, but I feel like I should point out To the guy the perishable nature of planes.  

How would you approach that conversation, if at all?

I’d suggest telling him you could put him in touch with a very good broker that would sell or buy the plane if he so desired. And would even pick the plane up. Plus you can offer your advice on what you know of the process such as the declining value from sitting idle.

Of course I am referring to All American.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am intimately familiar with grief associated with the loss of a loved one, and I would suggest you wait at least a month before approaching him about the disposition of the plane. A month will likely not affect the plane at all, and he certainly will have other things on his mind for a period of time.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I would offer to help the family preserve the aircraft and engine while they deal with more pressing issues.  An oil change, preserving oil, spray the cylinders, install dehydration plugs, seal the intake and exhaust systems, and disconnect the battery.  A few hundred in materials and a few hours of time would do it.

Let them know you’ll help when they decide how to deal with the plane in the future.

Clarence

59 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I would offer to help the family preserve the aircraft and engine while they deal with more pressing issues.  An oil change, preserving oil, spray the cylinders, install dehydration plugs, seal the intake and exhaust systems, and disconnect the battery.  A few hundred in materials and a few hours of time would do it.

Let them know you’ll help when they decide how to deal with the plane in the future.

Clarence

^ ^ ^ ^  This. Then in a couple or three months, offer to give him a ride in memory of his father.

4 hours ago, Yetti said:

Estate, plane, stuff,  give it a year.  Now if you are asking to take him flying to help remember his Dad.  That would be being a good friend.

I don’t think he has any interest in flying.  To my knowledge, he never even went up with his dad.  “Dad” only had his license for about 2 years.  

Which is why I feel like something should be said.  People who don’t own airplanes have zero clue about what happens to them or what they’re worth and why.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nels said:

I forget, did his dad wreck the Mooney and that’s what killed him?

No, dad had just bought an experimental biplane, came down steeply onto a highway intersection near the airport.

Raged is trying to prevent another thread like this:  

Edited by Hank

Guest tommy123

The best thing to do is mind your own business. You were not this guys friend and approaching his kid will be seen as a act of a vulture. This person was popular, let his friends take care of it.

six months of disuse is not going to kill a airplane regardless of what the cam obsessed internet experts say.

1 hour ago, tommy123 said:

The best thing to do is mind your own business. You were not this guys friend and approaching his kid will be seen as a act of a vulture. This person was popular, let his friends take care of it.

six months of disuse is not going to kill a airplane regardless of what the cam obsessed internet experts say.

Definitely was not his friend, but I see the son nearly every day.  But, you’re right, he probably had friends at the field that will look after it

• Like 1

I would say don't approach him directly and definitely don't touch the plane, you my be held liable for any future mishaps / pre-existing corrosions etc. Like you said, he is not your friend so I wouldn't assume anything. 

Just sent them an anonymous letter with words of condolence and advice on how to best safe-guard the value of a sitting plane. 

If they acted upon your words, it means they are serious or care about the plane. If they don't, then talking to them directly will serve no purpose any way.