Lord Mount Replacement

My new-to-me 1970 C-model showed the obvious signs of weak engine mount isolators (Lord Mounts).  The prop sagged over an inch below the cowl opening.  It was time to tackle the task of changing the engine mounts.  

In case anyone else needs to do this job I thought I'd share some info.  There are multiple ways to do this job.  I describe what worked for me.

The Lord mounts for a C-model cost about $450 a set.  Access is very tight but do-able.  I removed some intake parts, scat tubing, etc.  My aircraft has a 201 cowl and 201 exhaust so your C-model may require dropping the exhaust, etc.    You'll need an engine hoist and a way to pivot the prop hub up and down.  We used a second block and tackle for that.  

First off - this job needs at least 2 people.  Moving the engine to line up parts, etc. can't be done alone.  Removing the old mounts and bolts is pretty easy after the engine is supported.  The bolts can be positioned to remove them when the engine is moved forward an inch or so.  For the new mounts, we started with the hardest to reach mount and left the mount with the best access for last.  Moving and lifting the engine both by hand and the engine hoist was required to get parts lined up.  A small brass hammer helped encourage the bolts into place.  It took about 2.5 hours. See the before and after images - it made a big difference on this air frame.  No additional shims were needed although I made a few in case they were.  It's unclear how old the mounts were on this airplane - at least 15 years old and perhaps older.  

Thanks all.  

Mooney Engine Mount Before and After.jpg

• Like 1

I changed the engine mounts on my 66 C model by myself. My process was to use an engine hoist to support the engine and loosen all four mounts. I then removed the two top mounts and lowered the engine with the hoist enough to get the old top mounts out and the new ones installed loosely. I then reversed the procedure and removed the lower two mounts and lifted the engine up to remove the old mounts and installed the new ones. Torqued all four mounts and reinstalled the cowling.

You’re absolutely right that there’s various ways to complete this job.