I need to sit in an M20F

Hello all:

I am located in southeast Missouri and after lots of reading I have determined that I may “need” an M20F.  Of course, reading is no substitute for seeing and I would love to find an owner close enough and willing enough so that I can fly my very slow Cherokee to its location and sit in his/her plane.  Mainly, I want to see how much room there really is in the rear seating area. ( a short flight would be great but not necessary) 

Obviously, I wouldn’t be opposed if said owner wanted to fly to KPOF or some airport in between for this purpose.... I’d even be willing to spot you a few gallons of fuel.  

Any takers?  I’d be very appreciative.

ML 

6 minutes ago, MikeLima said:

That’s a great offer that I do appreciate.  However, I’m headed out of town this morning for my son’s wedding.  

The festival sounds interesting as well.

Thank you very much for responding and I wish I could make it work out.

ML

No prob

Well I haven’t sat in the back seat of my split seat F yet.  You make me want to put my shoes and drive to the airport just to see how comfortable the back seat is.  Got a house full of kids and grandkids for the weekend or I think I literally would.

11 hours ago, MikeLima said:

Hello all:

I am located in southeast Missouri and after lots of reading I have determined that I may “need” an M20F.  Of course, reading is no substitute for seeing and I would love to find an owner close enough and willing enough so that I can fly my very slow Cherokee to its location and sit in his/her plane.  Mainly, I want to see how much room there really is in the rear seating area. ( a short flight would be great but not necessary) 

Obviously, I wouldn’t be opposed if said owner wanted to fly to KPOF or some airport in between for this purpose.... I’d even be willing to spot you a few gallons of fuel.  

Any takers?  I’d be very appreciative.

ML 

I'm based in northeastern Mississippi, only 1+15 Mooney time southeast of you.  Maybe we can make another weekend work out.  An excuse to fly, is well, an excuse to fly.  PM me and we'll see what we can work out.  And I need to add Missouri to my Mooney map.  It looks like Dexter near you has a great price on fuel.

By the way I have a 1976 M20F.  I don't have the "comfortable" split seats in the back, just the bench.  I don't sit back there however and my daughter (14 yrs)  and the dogs (x2) don't complain.

I have a 68 M20F with the split rear seat as well. I will second that it is an incredibly comfortable seat, compared to seats in general, not just aircraft seats. I enjoy riding in the back of my plane about as much as piloting it. It is an incredibly comfortable ride. The pilots seat, like all M20's I assume, you wear like a glove. But the back seat is borderline excessive for the back two of a 4 place piston. Now, no one of this addresses how easy it is to get in and out...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone.   I will touch base with you in a couple of days and see if we can make it work out.  

Kpaul:  Dexter has a pretty good restaurant on the field as well as the fuel.  The fuel isn’t normally the cheapest in the area so I have never purchased fuel there and haven’t checked their price in a while ... they may be in a price war with KTX and POF who usually do have the cheapest. 

3 hours ago, Yetti said:

My F with the split back seat is one of the most comfortable chairs I have sat in.   That's all chairs, not just the one in airplanes.

My wife will opt for the back seat over the front every time. She tells me that it's like first class without the uncharge, She buys the little bottles of wine and  she good to go

I'm 474nm from you.  "need to test out sitting in the back seat" sounds like a perfect excuse for a xc.

btw, I had a 6'3 250# dude in the back seat of my F, he said he was more than comfortable (and completely shocked at the amount of room he had).  and yes, well within W&B. 

10 hours ago, MikeLima said:

Thanks everyone.   I will touch base with you in a couple of days and see if we can make it work out.  

Kpaul:  Dexter has a pretty good restaurant on the field as well as the fuel.  The fuel isn’t normally the cheapest in the area so I have never purchased fuel there and haven’t checked their price in a while ... they may be in a price war with KTX and POF who usually do have the cheapest. 

It's showing $2.95 on Skyvector, however the update was a couple of weeks ago and I now see that Airnav has it listed as $3.95, which appears to be the average in the area.

Agree with the comments on the back seats as long as they are individual bucket. If the ergornomics of the airplane's front seats were as the back, I would have opted for a 20F instead of my post 72 arrow ii. Alas, the proximity to the panel and race car seat position were deal breakers for me, which was a first (usually the family requirements have been the ones to drive non-starters, like it did for the N and P -35 Bos when they were considered). If you can stand the mooney pilot ergonomics, there really is a lot of value in the efficiency the airframes get from 180-200HP, short or medium body alike. 

I never have sat on the long bodies, did mooney ever change the front seat ergonomics with the ovation to match the back? 

22 hours ago, carusoam said:

Long Body...

longer nose...

longer back seat area... (same as mid body) with more seat adjustments...

longer baggage area...

310hp...

what’s not to like....

you just get more. :)

Best regards,

-a-

So the long bodies do not have more legroom than the mid bodies then? Interesting.  What about the front? Any changes to the leg angle or distance to panel? Sorry for the de-rail. 

More seat adjustments...

More horsepower...

Same laws of physics...

Same high efficiency wing...

More fuel capacity, (for longer legs?)...

The LBs are like the mid bodies, just more... (because, the passengers don’t change)

No hope for getting a third row of seats...  even though the baggage compartment could fit them...  :)

Some get a third set of seat belts in the back...

Lots of panel space for a few color screens...

UL over 1kLBs...

options include FIKI, AC, and O2 systems...

If you are going to fly a few times every week... take all the options and...

Go Acclaim... because you can... :)

PP thoughts only, I don’t sell any airplanes...

A couple of cool guys got that job...   https://www.allamericanaircraft.com/default.htm  (visit with these guys, sit in all their Mooneys)

Best regards,

-a-