Seemingly Stiff Elevator Control

I just moved from a ‘63 C to a 66 F.  I had gotten familiar and comfortable with the C.  Many things are alike on the F and a few things are seemingly to me much different.  A friend of mine has an F with a three axis auto pilot, assumedly a Britain.  I flew it before buying mine and the controls, at least the elevator seemed really stiff as opposed to my C that had no autopilot at all. 

Now that I have MY F, it has a non functional PC.  It has heck for stiff elevator control.  It is giving me difficulty getting used to it.  It seems that it is as if you run the elevator with the trim wheel rather than the yoke.  The controls on my C with no autopilot are almost as floppy as those on my little Cessna 140.  

Would removing the Britain components have anything to do with this?  Would fixing the autopilot, if I could find parts, have anything to do with this?

Has anyone ever experienced this or should I just throw in the towel and send in my pilot certificate.

Thanks in advance for your comments and sha4ing your experience.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PilotCoyote said:

What should be used to lubricate the yoke bushing in the panel? My manual shows a symbol (circle with cross inside) but doesn’t specify what that particular symbol represents...

Powdered graphite- but you're right, it takes some puzzling through it to get the answer.

The legend shows 2 circles, neither have a cross inside.  The other circle is labeled 5606 hydraulic fluid and is used for the hydraulic reservoir. 

Additionally, Revision D of the Service Manual from 1981/83 shows the symbol correctly and says either powdered graphite or Tri-Flow teflon spray.