AmSafe SOARS

aviatoreb

15 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Has anyone pulled the trigger yet and purchased and installed the new AmSafe SOARS which STC covers pretty much the entire M20 line?

I am most interested in feedback on how the install went, how much time, intel etc.

Thanks.

When I talked to the AMSAFE reps at Oshkosh they said that there had been sales to Mooney owners, but none had been installed yet.  They said they were also in talks with DMax to develop install procedures and guidelines specific to Mooneys.  

Maybe @Pmaxwell can update us on this..

19 minutes ago, kpaul said:

When I talked to the AMSAFE reps at Oshkosh they said that there had been sales to Mooney owners, but none had been installed yet.  They said they were also in talks with DMax to develop install procedures and guidelines specific to Mooneys.  

Maybe @Pmaxwell can update us on this..

I really want to pull the trigger but I do not want to be first...  Call me a wimp.

We have not installed one but the time for install will depend on a two point or three point install and depending on if the current three point mounting bracket can be used. I would guess for two point about 1.5 hours per seat and the three point could be another 30 min if the existing mount is used.  One of the sales members gave out the wrong price ($2580 I believe) during Oshkosh and amsafe is sticking with that price as an introductory price and said it will go up in 2019.  It also doesn't need the testing equipment so any a&p can install.  Here is the install manual.  Hope this helps. https://www.amsafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/IM-Installation-Manual.pdf

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pmaxwell said:

We have not installed one but the time for install will depend on a two point or three point install and depending on if the current three point mounting bracket can be used. I would guess for two point about 1.5 hours per seat and the three point could be another 30 min if the existing mount is used.  One of the sales members gave out the wrong price ($2580 I believe) during Oshkosh and amsafe is sticking with that price as an introductory price and said it will go up in 2019.  It also doesn't need the testing equipment so any a&p can install.  Here is the install manual.  Hope this helps. https://www.amsafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/IM-Installation-Manual.pdf

Thanks Paul.

Two hours sounds reasonable to me.

• 9 months later...

I am also considering the Amsafe SOARS system for install on my M20R.  Questions I have relate to actual experience with the installation.

- Time to install

- Any particular issues with installation

-Seatbelt comfort after install

-Recommendation for installers

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

33 minutes ago, Aviator said:

I am also considering the Amsafe SOARS system for install on my M20R.  Questions I have relate to actual experience with the installation.

- Time to install

- Any particular issues with installation

-Seatbelt comfort after install

-Recommendation for installers

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

I had it installed about a year ago at Weber aircraft.  I think I’m actuality it took 10 hrs to install because of being their first.  I think they knocked 2 hrs or so off the bill since I was first.

it is very comfortable, looks great and very comforting.

e

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

The thread may be aged, but the hardware has not been available very long in Mooney time...

There was a Rocket owner that may have done this recently.

Are you looking for anything in particular?

Best regards,

-a-

That was me.

• Like 1

For additional information...

Some of the early installs were performed at DMax’s shop.   @Pmaxwell is the contact.

Amsafe is a leader in aviation seat belts.

So... the system is real...

It won’t stop a plane from stalling...

It surely isn’t free...

It won’t be used to the fullest very often...

but, if you have an off-field landing in your future... seat belt improvements are the way to go.

PP thoughts only, not a seat belt guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

I had it installed about a year ago at Weber aircraft.  I think I’m actuality it took 10 hrs to install because of being their first.  I think they knocked 2 hrs or so off the bill since I was first.

it is very comfortable, looks great and very comforting.

e

Thanks, that's helpful.

• Like 1