Exhaust Inspection Without removing Lower Cowl?

I've just started my first annual with my M20F.  I know that I read on the forum a couple times that guys have figured out how to get the exhaust apart for inspection without removing the lower cowl.  having an elusive 200hp bellow between the cowl and throttle body, disturbing it as little as possible is the goal.  

Would someone familiar with this procedure please describe the process?  

Thanks!

On August 31, 2018 at 1:28 PM, PilotCoyote said:

Run engine and turn on cabin heat, take sample of air from outlet with turkey baster filled with chemical powder that reacts with carbon monoxide and changes color. Only checks the cabin heat muff though. Some IA’s are content with that plus visual inspection.

This sounds like a science experiment. Undo the outer shroud that covers the muffler heat exchange only three screws in my case. Take a shop vac put the hose in the outlet with a towel around the end of the hose to make a good seal in the tail pipe and pressuring the exhaust start spraying soapy water around the pipes the joints and flanges the internal exposed muffler can and look for bubbles. No need to remove the lower cowl.

• Like 1

I guess I’m of the opposite view.  How does taking the cowl off damage the intake bellows more that 100 hours of flying?  How do you do a complete and proper inspection of the engine with half of it covered with the lower cowl?

Definitely pressurize the muffler with a shop vac and spray with soapy water to locate leaks once the jacket is opened along with a visual inspection.  

Clarence