Looking for a fun getaway within 500 miles of Ohio

BigD

2 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Mackinac Island.  Nice airport (KMCD), horse drawn carriage into town.  No cars on the island.  Absolutely beautiful in September/October. 

https://www.grandhotel.com/

1 hour ago, nels said:

And very expensive. If you spend the night.

We flew to Mackinac Island this summer and really had a great time. But we stayed in Saint Ignace which is about 4 minutes by Mooney from the Island. We stayed in a great Airbnb which was something like $65/night. Also landing and parking overnight at Saint Ignace (free) gets you access to a crew car. We were told to keep it over night and as long as we needed it. It was a super cool '82 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. The wife and I cruised around with the windows down playing the theme from Shaft.

IMG_5190.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

We flew to Mackinac Island this summer and really had a great time. But we stayed in Saint Ignace which is about 4 minutes by Mooney from the Island. We stayed in a great Airbnb which was something like $65/night. Also landing and parking overnight at Saint Ignace (free) gets you access to a crew car. We were told to keep it over night and as long as we needed it. It was a super cool '82 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. The wife and I cruised around with the windows down playing the theme from Shaft.

It'll be packed on a holiday weekend like this of course, ramp space may be hard to come by. Worth it if you can get in though. Also the Mackinac Bridge will be closed to vehicle traffic from 0600-1200 Monday morning, FYI. 

Put in Bay and Kelley’s Island are also worth a visit. Also well within range of Chicago and all the East Coast cities and all the possibilities in that direction.  Charleston and Savannah are both well worth a visit, or you could visit Nashville and listen to really good music. A Mooney offers a lot of travel opportunities.

• Like 1

Newbie here - I usually read and learn, but can't pass on the chance to put in a plug for my favorite place in the Southeast...  

If you and the wife are open to something a little rustic and out of the way, check out the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area https://www.nps.gov/biso/index.htm.  Fly into KSCX (Scott County Airport) which has an Airpark - The Big South Fork Airpark https://www.bsfairpark.com/  The Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area is nearby and has cabins available via private owners , or I think that the Air Park has a guest house.   Crossville TN nearby has the Cumberland County Playhouse to satisfy any cultural urges (not certain of the schedule...).  There is also a nice BnB in an area called "Historic Rugby".    AirNav lists courtesy transportation as being available, I am not certain of Rental Car availability, but I bet the folks running the Airpark would be accommodating and helpful in that regard.  

I grew up in the area and it is stunningly beautiful in the Park.  

John

(Future M20 J/K owner)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

A quick update...

I was back in East Tennessee this week and went by the Airpark to talk with them about hosting an event for my flying club.  We talked about setting up an ATV ride and also hosting some hikes.   I also found out that the Enterprise agency in LaFollette TN will make arrangements to drop off a rental car at the airport with prior notice.   The guest house can handle up to three couples, but current property owners get first dibs   "BA" (founder of the Airpark) seemed pretty open to guests - and will work with you to arrange entertainment, a breakfast buffet, for a group etc.  

Lastly curasoam  - a belated thanks for the warm sentiments on my first post.

It turns out they hosted the Atlanta Mooniacs (I hope I have that right) a while back, and welcome groups to come visit

• Like 1

500 nm will get you in range of Nantucket island in Massachusetts. Beautiful island community with New England charm. Cobblestone streets in the main downtown area and lots of great specialty shops and restaurants. Nantucket used to be a whaling community but is now a high-end resort. If you go around Thanksgiving you may run into Joe Biden walking the streets and shops.

"Getaways" are, for me, an interesting subject.  In my job I'm continually taking the rich and famous to their favorite getaways.  :(  I've come to hate those places where people want to be seen.

I hate crowds and I'm sick to death of being charged high rates for everything.

In my old age, I believe that the really good getaways are not where "everyone" goes for fun, but the harder to get-to places.

When the airlines stop seasonal service to a popular location...that's when the Mooney is best at going places that are devoid of crowds.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mooneymite said:

"Getaways" are, for me, an interesting subject.  In my job I'm continually taking the rich and famous to their favorite getaways.  :(  I've come to hate those places where people want to be seen.

I hate crowds and I'm sick to death of being charged high rates for everything.

In my old age, I believe that the really good getaways are not where "everyone" goes for fun, but the harder to get-to places.

When the airlines stop seasonal service to a popular location...that's when the Mooney is best at going places that are devoid of crowds.

@Mooneymite I like what you are saying.   Will you recommend a few of the places you've noted to be good post-season destinations?    I'd love to hear what you think so I can have those places in my back pocket in case the opportunity arises.  Thanks.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 3:34 PM, BigD said:

Trying to find a nice place to fly the mrs. and give me an excuse to fly... recommendations? Thanks! 

I recommend a flight to First Flight Airport, FFA, Kill Devil Hills, NC, on the outer banks.   There is a very nice paved strip right next to the monument to the Wright Bros. first flight of a powered heavier-than-air machine.   You can camp overnight and there is a very nice pilot's lounge.  No services.   Scenic spot with lots of historical significance if you are an aviation nut.