Mooney Purchase Request

Brandontwalker

I received the attached letter in the mail today.  Frankly, I am not sure what to think about the letter.  Several words (e.g., ambitious, eager, optimistic, desperate...) immediately came to mind, but, more than anything else, I thought it was just plain weird.  If this was you, not attempting to hurt feelings or anything, but maybe you should stick to the constants like Controller, Barnstormers, or the new one started by our Jessie (can't remember the name though).  Did anyone else receive this letter?  For privacy purposes, I have redacted personal information.

Mooney Letter.jpg

Edited by Brandontwalker

9 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

I get letters frequently—well, every few months—from brokers who want to know if I’ll sell my plane.   

The letter you got is a bit more folksy but in the same vein. 

It wouldn't surprise me if this *is* a broker with a cleverer approach than usual. 

44 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

I get letters frequently—well, every few months—from brokers who want to know if I’ll sell my plane.   

The letter you got is a bit more folksy but in the same vein. 

The ones I get are oversized postcards, thick glossy stock, 4 color photos and large print. They go straight into the trash . . . .

I'd say that's clever. I've heard of people reaching out to owners of planes doing the same.... and finding such a plane. Many people are on the fence of selling, so on. There are tons of planes for "sale" without ever being on the market. And, honestly, my best buys, (I've owned 7 planes) have been from people who have haven't advertised. 

You thinking of selling? Look into it, throw him a price.

If not, toss it out. 

• Like 1

I’ve see these all the time in real estate. One of the things people are taught is to “dumb down” the letter so it doesn’t feel like it’s coming from a big corporation or someone the does this all the time.

I’m not sure the research is that good if they think they’ll get a J for that price and meet those criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve see these all the time in real estate. One of the things people are taught is to “dumb down” the letter so it doesn’t feel like it’s coming from a big corporation or someone the does this all the time.

I’m not sure the research is that good if they think they’ll get a J for that price and meet those criteria.

The price falls well below the mark. It certainly didn’t peak my interest.

I got a call asking if I owned the property.   Yes.  He explained he buys property.   Asked If I was interested in selling.   I said sure, he asked the price I would sell at.   I gave a price about $250K over the market.    He said he would call me back.

Called me back and said he had done a market survey.  Then said the market was at this price and he was an investor and he could not make money at the price I gave.    Started to try and talk me down.   I said he asked at what price I wanted to sell.  He said that was not an interesting price.   I said "Well I guess you are not interested in my property are you?"   He said "no"  and we parted ways. 

Explain again why it is my job for you to make money?

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Explain again why it is my job for you to make money?

That is something that took me a while to realize as an adult. "Well, we won't make any money if..." "Then don't do the deal"  If you want to see me get visibly agitated and ruthless in my words, try to use an appeal to emotion to get me to take a bad deal. 

On another note, both of my airplanes were purchased with patience. My beautiful M20F was about to be listed. A PPI that I had scheduled with Wilmar fell through; I called Wilmar to cancel it on their calendar, and out of disappointment, asked if they knew of any others about to go on the market. I ended up buying my M20F for well over what I'd budgeted and have had no regrets. My Rocket was similar. I crossed the country to go look at a different Rocket. The Rocket I bought was listed as a 231 and had a deposit already placed on it. The buyer backed out, I realized it was a rocket and not a 231, and I bought it. In the case of both airplanes, it might look like I got lucky, but it was really just patience. I started opening myself to purchase either of them two years before actually going through with the purchase and it seems like it took two years for a suitable plane at the right price to cross paths with me. 

I suspect my LoPresti M20F will be an excellent aircraft for whoever buys it when I decide to sell it. 

$75K isn't enough to buy the plane he wants to buy.  Maybe he'll get a taker, and it's reasonable that beating the bushes he'll find a plane that needs to go, but it'll be difficult.  If a buyer wants a discounted price, the buyer needs to make it easy on the seller.  It's difficult for a first time buyer to make it easy on a seller.

I just got the letter today.  I looked him up in the Airmen registry and he was issued his private on 7/28/18.  Congratulations!  I say more power to you and good luck. I will also say that savvy people around here don't part with planes or money very easily.  If your budget is $75k I would go for a decked out F versus a lower end J.  If you are on this site jump on in.  We can be a tough bunch for sure but so was that teacher you learned the most from back in school.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, laytonl said:

I believe this is a guy who is genuinely looking to buy a Mooney.  His price point may be reasonable if he will accept some damage history.  Lee

Not if it was well repaired- not in this market.