iPad for ForeFlight

WaynePierce

If you use this device, where do you have it mounted? Any problems you've run into with instrument blocking or inability to plug in a charger to it or anything of interest? I'm looking at my first Mooney, a 1985 J. Hopefully pre-buy inspection next week. Hopefully flying to San Antonio to look at her while she's open...

Am I overlooking a search function in this board? Surely this topic has come up before and I can't figure out how to search for the topic...

1 hour ago, N9405V said:

I use a Ram mount off the center support post. The only think it blocks on mine is the ancient Brittain autopilot and one fuel gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought very seriously about that placement but was worried it would interfere with the magnetic compass. It doesn't? I'm using an older, probably Air 1 iPad.

Edited by WaynePierce

I had my Mx install a ram mount diamond on my right side panel when I reconfigured it. You can see it in the first photo above the transponder.

When I fly, I position my MiniIpad on a ram mount just above my tachometer.

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG.6ea7bd88977e7d9e0679e3d7b19b8a08.JPG

I'll probably have to upgrade to a full sized iPad in the future, especially since my mini is starting to show signs of its age.  I think I'm going to wind up with some sort of lap arrangement, I've actually used the mini that way to keep it out of the sun and found it more readable.

I have the 2018 iPad 9.7" with 32GB on a Ram mount positioned in landscape orientation on the yoke.  This Ram holds it in a spring loaded mechanism so I can keep the iPad in it's case.  Doesn't block any instruments.  I have a Stratus USB charging port on the right side of the panel and the charging cable doesn't get in the way because with the iPad in landscape orientation,  the cable inserts on the right side.  At my 5'8" height I'm fairly close to the panel and yoke but it has been working well for me.  This ipad is the second cheapest out there too (no GPS or data- just WiFi) and I'm completely satisfied with it using Foreflight with a Stratus.  I put a glare screen on it which has made reflections a non-issue.

image.thumb.png.b6762a940e9edd748d3d2f5f404cc306.png

I have been using the yoke mount (Ram, then Steele, currently the Scosche magnetic mount) with a iPad Mini 4. Unfortunately I have been a steady decline in speed on the iPad and starting to suspect the processor is slowing down.

I decided to see if it I could find a way to get my 10.5 iPad Pro in the plane. After spending hours looking at yoke mounts, knee mounts, panel mounts and floor mounts, I decided to try a panel mount style that can be removed easily.

On my F, I have the quadrant. Under the quadrant, an ashtray used to be mounted and years ago it was removed and the opening covered with a plate. I ordered a mygoflight Sport flex mount and will see if I can have the iPad mounted in this location. What I like about the sport flex mount is that the arm assembly is completely removable, so that I won’t have the hardware dangling in between the seats. I’ll just remove it with it’s quick removal design. I will keep you posted on how this works out.

1bb1918745beb387f18330e4b87624e3.jpg

1205878db30dd6669bf35ad18eab22dc.jpg

f31e3de22fb765353ce47382b5624c7f.jpg

And yes, I have tendered my resignation in the CB Club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

thank you N9405V! That's exactly what I was hoping for... standard length arm or is it a longer one from the clamp to the mounting bracket.

I think it's about a 6" arm. I'll measure it when I head out to the airport tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk