M20J Wanted!

BushPilot

Looking to give an M20J a good home!

The "Needs"

•  1978 or newer
  • No Damage History
  • no corrosion
  • Recently overhauled engine/ Midtime engine (flown frequently)/ Run out engine (priced accordingly)
  • IFR certification
  • 430w
  • 4 place intercom
  • no fuel leaks
  • complete logs
  • >900lb useful load
  • all ADs and especially SB208 complied with
  • autopilot with alt hold
  • hangared most of its life

The Wants

• 1982 or newer
  • A3B6 
  • new prop: scimitar or top prop
  • fuel bladders 
  • 530w Or GTN 650/750
  • stec autopilot 
  • gpss
  • graphic engine monitor
  • adsb
  • garmin G5 or aspen PFD/HSI
  • intercom w/music
  • >1000lb useful load

The Buyer

• Professional pilot/ATP
  • Family man
  • Perfectionist
  • Hangar standing by
  • Financing-ready to close a deal!

Lets make it happen.

email: Nbushpilot@gmail.com

phone: (218) 242-0312

Thanks for reading! :D

41 minutes ago, Stryker said:

I like this aircraft over all. However, the rust on the control shaft (Not sure the technical term for the steel shaft the yoke mounts to.) concerns me. I am worried the airframe may have many other parts that also have surface rust or worse. Thank you for sharing the link however!

If Skywaggons would allow you to take the plane to TopGun for an inspection, it might be worth it. But they're not known for being friendly towards that idea.

Since it's got all the right stuff... it might not be hard to get someone from this forum to go by and take a look at it and get a bunch of pictures that you could then run by (for a small fee) an MSC who knows what's critical and whats not.  That might give you the info you'd need to pursue a proper inspection or pass on the plane.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 1:22 PM, BushPilot said:

I like this aircraft over all. However, the rust on the control shaft (Not sure the technical term for the steel shaft the yoke mounts to.) concerns me. I am worried the airframe may have many other parts that also have surface rust or worse. Thank you for sharing the link however!

My '83 J also has the rust, but what is interesting is the portion of the shaft that is behind the panel does not. It's only on the surface and I use a compound that somebody here recommended which instantly removes it and restores the chrome shine. The "rubdown" lasts about six months at which time the rust returns and I apply the solution again.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MB65E said:

Didn’t know H/C pistons were legal? It’s already a fairly stout engine. 

-Matt

We have somebody here that just recently searched for and added 10:1 CR pistons to his J, and has done a fair amount of writing about the experience...

Search for Firewall Forward STC...

nice detailed list, Bushpilot!

That will help you to get where you want to go.

Where are you located?

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

We have somebody here that just recently searched for and added 10:1 CR pistons to his J, and has done a fair amount of writing about the experience...

Search for Firewall Forward STC...

nice detailed list, Bushpilot!

That will help you to get where you want to go.

Where are you located?

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you! I am in northern MN. This has been a great learnings experience and I appreciate all the feedback that people have given. 

4 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

If high compression pistons were bad why would they be used regularly on piston helicopters?

I think we would want to look up how long the cylinders last in the helicopter application... and what an acceptable limit is for them.

It won’t tell us anything about the life expectancy of the same set-up in a Mooney because the environment is completely different...

so I looked up the piston heli(s) i’m kinda Familiar with...  Robinson R22 and R44...

Robinson derates the O360 and O540 significantly.... no mention of high compression pistons....

The O540 only uses 185hp continuous... pretty far from the 260+ the Bravo has available from the IO version...

From the pictures you can see a very large cooling fan mounted above the cylinders....

https://robinsonheli.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/r44_cadet_brochure.pdf

the challenge with high compression ratios is the amount of heat generated inside the same cylinders...

A similar challenge for those running 25°BTDC timing... in some parts of the world, this isn’t a problem at all.  In other parts of the world a decent engine monitor takes care of a big part of the challenge....

Overall, CHT control keeps the cylinders living longer...

Cold winter air may also be important to keep an eye on.  super negative DAs may be more important in this set-up.

More Pp thoughts only,

-a-

• Like 1

• 1 month later...