GoPro Video Editing/Software, Tips etc

Flymac

15 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

'easier'?  no, not at all.  on top of that cable you also need something to actually record the audio.  on top of that, now you need to sync your audio with the video.  so no, while not 'easier' (also not difficult), this, paired with a good audio recording device, will probably get you much better audio.  however, not even close to 'easier'.  if you're looking for higher quality, your option is clearly the better option.  if you're looking for cheap, easy and acceptable audio, lapel mic all day.

I was talking about running a wire from the adapter to the mic jack on the GoPro.  Yes, that would be easier, with nothing to stick in your ear, and the audio would still be sync'd because it'd be going into the GoPro.  You clearly do have a GoPro that has a microphone jack on it.  I'm not sure what you're talking about?

3 hours ago, eman1200 said:

I went the super high tech route and stuffed a lapel mic inside the earpiece of my headset.  I know, I know, but it gets the job done.  get yourself one of these (make sure the connection is right for your camera):

lapel mic

plug it into the gopro and stuff the mic end into your earpiece (take the foam thing off first).  this way it'll record everything you hear in your headset.  you can hear my videos, not professional quality but certainly good enough for the cheesy youtube videos I do.  you can usually get a few of them for a coupl'a bucks, this way you have backups if (when) they break.

I didn't know that my gopro has a mic jack on it...just thought it was a small usb type.  Will have to take a closer look.  Thanks for the link.

I use VSDC - http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor

It is not super intuitive, but it has a handy wizard function for importing and splicing multi-file segmented videos.  The real problem I have is with export profiles - I have yet to find a setting that matched the combination of high quality and small filesize GoPro Studio could output.

• 4 months later...

GoPro Studio is still available on the Internet. I use Studio for fast editing. Studio is fast, simple, and capable, although it won't handle content from a Hero7 Black. For the 7 Black, I use PowerDirector16 because I got a deal on the software. PowerDirector16 has far more features than I need but that's the fun part of learning video editing and content creation. I have tried VSDC and it seems capable but its features are not at all intuitive and the software is overly processor intensive. The intuitive feature offerings in VDC steer you towards the pro version which requires money, so I have not continued my experiment with VSDC. 

I'm and old IT by trade and steer clear of subscription based software. Subscription software may be great and have the newest features but sometimes old technology that is owned still does the trick. Especially when that software can be obtained for free such as GoPro Studio or purchased outright. It's a shame GoPro discontinued Studio. It's more of a shame that GoPro pushed everyone onto Quick and pushed their subscription based/online content editing, while at the same time uninstalling Studio without informing the end user. Fortunately Studio is still available for download from other sources. Just be careful and get it from a reliable source like CNET et al... 

Edited by jonhop

On 9/2/2018 at 11:57 AM, apenney said:

I didn't know that my gopro has a mic jack on it...just thought it was a small usb type.  Will have to take a closer look.  Thanks for the link.

which GoPro do you have? The small usb is likely also a mic jack. But you'll need a cable to match. I can show you a picture when I'm at the hangar this weekend.

Connecting the GoPro directly to the audio panel is definitely the way to go for the best sound.

which GoPro do you have? The small usb is likely also a mic jack. But you'll need a cable to match. I can show you a picture when I'm at the hangar this weekend.
Connecting the GoPro directly to the audio panel is definitely the way to go for the best sound.

I’m interested in seeing this cable. I have a GoPro 5 and I was told by myflightcam that their cable won’t support the IntelliAudio on the PS Engineering panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I’m interested in seeing this cable. I have a GoPro 5 and I was told by myflightcam that their cable won’t support the IntelliAudio on the PS Engineering panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'll send you a picture when I get to the hangar this weekend.

• Like 1

Ok, sorry it's taken so long. But here is the cable I use with my GoPro inside the cockpit. It's a Hero3 but I could probably come up with a cable for the newer models as well. 

Notice this one has a 1/4" jack for the plane, a female version for a headset if sharing the same jacks, a large USB to plug into ships power (not required but eliminates battery issues) and finally the small usb that plugs into the camera. This puts crystal clear audio coms on the video while eliminating all the aircraft/engine noise.

I have a Hero 5 Session that uses a USB C plug. I might try a micro-usb to usb-C adapter with this cable to see if it works. I'll report back.

IMG_2828.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

By the way, the best mount I've found for the camera inside the cockpit is this one. It does double duty holding my SensorCon CO detector when not using the camera.

IMG_2827.thumb.jpg.d11a05424fd39a74fa5f84c8a8ab66b2.jpg

IMG_2826.thumb.jpg.a9a26ef0b0d1813916e70c3b063fbb06.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, sorry it's taken so long. But here is the cable I use with my GoPro inside the cockpit. It's a Hero3 but I could probably come up with a cable for the newer models as well. 
Notice this one has a 1/4" jack for the plane, a female version for a headset if sharing the same jacks, a large USB to plug into ships power (not required but eliminates battery issues) and finally the small usb that plugs into the camera. This puts crystal clear audio coms on the video while eliminating all the aircraft/engine noise.
I have a Hero 5 Session that uses a USB C plug. I might try a micro-usb to usb-C adapter with this cable to see if it works. I'll report back.
IMG_2828.thumb.jpg.4397619730cc2c5a90b29f49dd6c2ae8.jpg
IMG_2829.thumb.jpg.d637aeb29527eade5caee40e07ace696.jpg
By the way, the best mount I've found for the camera inside the cockpit is this one. It does double duty holding my SensorCon CO detector when not using the camera.
IMG_2827.thumb.jpg.d11a05424fd39a74fa5f84c8a8ab66b2.jpg
IMG_2826.thumb.jpg.a9a26ef0b0d1813916e70c3b063fbb06.jpg

Thanks for sharing this Paul. Who is the manufacturer? I have a version similar to this for my Hero 2 but without the charging cable. Let me know know how the Hero 5 cable search goes. The battery gets eaten up quickly on the 5 and I certainly would be interested in one with a charging cable built in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that when I use ships power for the GoPro, I get lots of noise interference in the audio signal.  Using a separate battery results in clear audio.  My panel power is a Stratus USB port which otherwise works well powering my ipad and phone.

• 4 years later...

I've had similar experiences with GoPro Studio, and it's unfortunate that it's no longer available. Have you tried using Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro X? They're both professional-grade video editing software that may take some time to learn but offer more flexibility and control over your footage. Alternatively, you could try using online video editors like the one at https://www.movavi.com/add-text-in-video-online.html. I've used it to add text to my videos, and it's quite user-friendly. You could also try editing your footage on your smartphone using apps like Adobe Premiere Rush or InShot.

Edited by riyadroyad

I've used Davinci Resolve for a few years now and like it, its a highly capable platform and they have a free version that i don't think ill ever ue to its full capacity. 

I use GoPro Hero 3 and 4 in and around the plane (my thought is that they are old enough to be cheap to replace if something ever happened to them) outside i just let it run till the battery dies and don't use the BT turn on or off as it kills the battery much quicker. inside i have it plugged into power and audio so i let it run till i need to change the SD cards. 

Check out Flyingthewaters on YT if you want to see what ive done with the videos. Videos take a while to edit and its not my favorite thing to do so i havn't done it in a while and there is currently a backlog of raw footage for me to edit on my desk and ive stopped filming because all my SD  cards are full with rad content to edit. 

On 3/10/2023 at 8:41 AM, Fly Boomer said:

First, welcome to MooneySpace!
Second, you are responding to a post that is 4 years old.
Third, if Paul is even around here anymore, he likely won't see your post unless you get his attention like this:  @gsxrpilot

Hi there! indeed this is an old post! But always nice to resucitate.

For editing I use FInal Cut Pro. It has way too many options, that I don´t know how to use, but it is always nice to have. But you have to be careful with the filesize. I can easy go above 50GB and exceed 200GB if you are editing several files from several cameras in 4K. It is also good to have several cameras available. 

Regarding cameras, I am using now the GoPro 11 mini. I feel they are a good compromise. I don´t need the fancy screens. Additionally, I also use a cheaper DRIFT GHOST camera for my tail mount. Battery life is about 4 hours and it films in 4K.

As a mount I use MyPilotPro mounts. They are sturdy and work well. 

Did I ever damage or lose a camera? I damaged some lenses, but I was able to replace them easily. Several years ago I also lost a Gopro. But it was my mistake. I used a suction mount to mount it on the belly and I flew into some rain... guess what ,the camera disappeared over the jungle never to be seen again.

3 hours ago, Steve0715 said:

I ran into your video flying from Panama to Liberia.  Impressive flight and butt puckering landing.  Great job.

Thank you Steve... the landing was without any doubt interesting... My plan was to continue but after that landing I decided to stay until the winds died down and have a nice drink.

Oscar

• Like 1